Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Sister Atkinson's email after Week One in the MTC

HELLO ALL!

I'M A MISSIONARY. HOW DID THIS HAPPEN! It has been fun to look back to a little over three months ago and remember that this is NOT what I was planning to do right now, but I am so grateful to be here.


I can't believe I've been at the MTC for a week already!
My companion said to me this morning as I opened a package from Mom, "Wow, you are loved." It is so true. I can feel the love and prayers from friends, family, and church members all over the world. I am so blessed. THANK YOU FOR ALL OF THE SUPPORT! A big shout out to those who sent me letters this week! They each made my night as I read them. I am trying to respond to all of them, but time is so limited so be patient with me!


The first 24 hours at the MTC I was most definitely in shock and information overload. But I promise I am doing great!!


Every minute of everyday from 6am to 10:30 is planned out. Even then, I don't feel like there is ever enough time to get everything done I would like to. Ah 14 minutes of computer time left. I CAN DO THIS. Okay:

-My companion's name is Sister Ostler. She is from American Fork, Utah and we were friends on Facebook before we came through that Sister Missionary group. (so Lizzie Ostler if you want to creep Mom). She is great! She is very determined, very bold, very smar, and very hardworking. I'm so grateful to have a companion who has simliar goals at me and it is so fun to work with her!

-I spend most of my day in my classroom with my district. There are 10 missionaries total, 4 sister and 6 elders. (5 companionships). We are all going to L.A. except Sister Bonrostro who is going to the Hawaii Visitor's center. We have 3 districts in our zone or branch. We spend some time each day with our zone. My branch presidency is great! My friend from BYU's dad is actually our Branch president! I have actually run into quite of few people I know and I'm sure I'll see more in the next two weeks. It's great!

-I'm so surprised by how much we get to teach in the MTC. Our teachers role play as investigators (people that they know) and are surprisingly very convincing, plus there are role plays within our zone (I'm pretending to be Taylor, haha. tell her, she'll be surprised), and we work with MTC volunteers.

-My district is so great. It is humbling to work with 18-19 year old Elders, haha. (actually we have a 26 year old elder. so much respect for him.) Everyone is super quirky, but everyone has a great attitude. One of the Elders is from South Carolina and reminds me a lot of the West Virginia culture. I try to keep track of all of his random quotes, but I'll share one with you today. "Oh C.S. stands for coordinating sister? I thought it stood for the Confederate States." yeah. it's pretty fantastic.

-IT IS SO COLD. I don't ever remember Provo being this bitter, but I'm staying very warm. (Mom-you asked if I need my peacoat--don't worry about it!) We haven't gone to the temple yet, but I'm so excited because we're goign in 20 minutes. AH 5 MINUTES LEFT.


The big thing I wanted to say is that I have learned SO much in only a week. It has all been very very very humbling. But as I am being humbled by the Lord, I realize I am able to be taught by Him. I have learned so much and grown so much already. I'm really focusing on Doctrine and Covenants 4:5-6 as who I need to become to be able to accomplish all the Lord wants me to. The word become has had such a huge impact on my life the past 6 months, and now I'm realizing it is ALL over this Gospel. We have the potential to become like our Father in Heaven. HOW GREAT IS THAT? I have had so many moments the past few days where I get so excited about this gospel that I just want to burst (kind of like when my niece Brooklyn puts her fists in the air and grunts--that kind of enthusiasm). I'm learning how to be patient. My companion told me I was so laid back and go with the flow. (What?! I'm already different, haha). But it's true--I have been very introverted in a way as I have tried to take everything in. This is the Lord's gospel, not mine, and I am learning how to put all of my efforts (including my will and way of doing things) over to Him. Well I have 30 seconds left and I could type for another hour. I'll try to write a letter home and Mom can include that. I love you all soo so so much!

Love,

SisterAtkinson


No comments:

Post a Comment