Tuesday, August 20, 2013

"Constant He is and kind, Love without end."

Tuesday, August 20, 2013
 
Hello!
Merciful, so much has happened this week. Back home and here.
Mom sent me lots of updates, so I'll comment on those first.
I'm so sad to hear about Eleanor. She was/is a huge role model in my life. I was very serious about naming one of my children after her. but I know she is at so much peace. She is an incredible person and is doing so much work on the other side of the veil. Lots and lots of prayers sent to you all.  [Note from Dawn: Sad news for our family. Eleanor Heywood one of family's dearest friends passed away this week]
Also! So sad to hear about Bob Leighty!  He is one of the nicest people ever. He'd always joke with me when I would take off my shoes to play, haha. Send my music people my love and prayers! [Note from Dawn: More sad news. Mr. Leighty was a music teacher in Charleston who suddenly passed away this past week]
CONGRATULATIONS DEANNA! Obviously, I just imagined I rocked a bridesmaid dress, haha. So happy for you!! Can't wait to see pics! Love you! [Deanna one of her BYU friends got married]
And congrats Corinne!! ah!! [One of her BYU friends became engaged]
And obviously I'm bummed I missed the annual Atkinson concert on the lawn, haha. (mostly because I love the plethora of leftover popsicles we always have.) But I'm glad you had a good turn out!!!

Okay. Seriously last P-day feels like forever ago. Transfers are this week! SISTER JONES AND I ARE STAYING!!!!!!!!!!! Thank you so much Heavenly Father! We are so excited. This transfer is seriously nuts. There are 42 new missionaries coming in tomorrow. The most our mission has ever gotten. They are opening 18 new areas. They called another set of sister trainer leaders, so we'll still have the same amount of companionships to cover which is nice.
 
I don't know if I will come home sassier than I left. I'm trying not to be...but it's me...
Lets see, last Tuesday we did temple service (it's closed right now for cleaning). Of course I accidentally set our alarm clock for 5pm. We woke up at 6:15 in pure panic mode (it was hilarious), but we made it out the door in 12 minutes like bosses. We were only...a little..late for service. #notmybest We helped cleaning in the cafeteria with the cutest ladies who made us a very Mexican and delicious breakfast. Oh and next week, P-day will be on Wednesday because we are going to the temple for a session! Yay!
This week we did a "service project" for our precious branch president. We set up a gmail account and facebook account for his wife and made sure there were icons on her desktop and everything, hahaha. Reminded me of Dad. [beginner tech skills] Oh mercy.
Sidney has a very set baptismal date for September 8! So proud of her!
One of our favorite missionaries got super sick and had to go home this week :( but her companion Sister Kylee Rudd (Timmy knows her) came with us! Aka we were in a trio covering her Spanish area, our YSA ward (which covers the stake), and her Samoan ward (but they all speak English) for the past 5ish days. Aka it has been nuts! But so much fun! We just love her. But she'll get a new companion tomorrow.

All I have to say is I have been exposed to a lot of culture this week, haha. But that's always the story in Los Angeles.  I forgot to tell you about driving through Watts a couple weeks ago and seeing a man peeing on the side of the road. Win. Anyways, Sister Jones is a Spanish-assigned missionary luckily so they both were able to teach in the Spanish lessons. Obviously I sat there, smiled, and said 'bien' a lot. It was cool though because even though I didn't understand 95% of the conversation, I was able to focus on the Spirit. And that is a universal language. God is so real. :) The other biggest culture shock was walking in to ward council to find a room full of very large Samoan men with giant tribal tattoos. wearing lava-lavas. Half of sacrament meeting was in English and half was in Samoan. It was so cool. Samoan culture is so neat. And the children's names are unreal. I accidentally called Sister Mui-Mui, Sister Mucho-mucho. But not to her face, so that's good.

We helped this sweet Samoan sister with the whitest hair I have ever seen with the Primary activity (I miss kids so much... I won't know what to do when they send me to a family ward, haha) so she fed us to thank us. SO MUCH FOOD. Seriously, we left with a whole chicken, a 2-liter, and 5 containers of food at least. Also, we had a meeting at a church building Saturday night the same time as a wedding, so obviously they sent us home with the cake. Like we have at least half of a wedding cake in our apartment. And a whole watermelon (my favorite. aka tender mercy). Basically I just kept saying all weekend "this just doesn't happen in the single's wards." Best part about a trio? I get to rock the back seat of the car. Seriously. Best 6 days of my mission car life. Except I was backing Sister Jones, but was checking our texts at the same time. She may or may not have scraped the side of our car against a pole. I mean the back was great, but as backer I probably should have been watching the sides as well....once again, #notmybest. ['backers' are supposed to direct the driver to make sure they do not hit anything!]

 

Okay on to what we really spent most of our time with this week---our media campaign!!!!!!! The website is almost done! Sister Jones has to move an orange box and we have to fix the facebook links (so don't click on those just yet..but obviously like our page when the links do work). www.theysabranch.com is our precious baby lamb. SO CHECK IT OUT. We are so excited for this transfer. The tools and organization are almost done, so we'll get everything rolling this week. The Branch has already progressed and changed so much in the past 3 weeks. I'm so proud of 'em, haha. For example we were sitting in a family ward's ysa Sunday school class this past Sunday. Lets just say there is a reason we have young single adult wards. We just know that this branch can change lives and sitting in that Sunday school class was just one of many instances where we have felt Heavenly Father tell us to keep doing what we're doing.

 

I have been overwhelmed by Heavenly Father's love this week. The back of my new planner has this quote from President Uchtdorf " This is a paradox of man: compared to God, man is nothing; yet we are EVERYTHING to God. While against the backdrop of infinite creation we may appear to be nothing, we have a spark of eternal fire burning within our breast. We have the incomprehensible promise of exaltation -worlds without end- within our grasp. And it is God's great desire to help us reach it." He just loves me and you so so so much. Earlier last week Sister Jones and I just sat and reflected on how much He loves us. I don't know if it was watching our friend have to go home, working with the sisters in the mission, having specific lessons we have had, listening to an elder tell us how he just got diagnosed with Chrone's diease, realizing our breakthroughs with our website and everything we're doing right now (otterpops always bring inspiration...just saying), sharing our life experiences, or falling even more in love with the scriptures, but a lot has made me realize HE JUST LOVES ME AND YOU SO MUCH. Moments in my life came to my mind. I was able to realize very specific points that changed who I am. I was just overwhelmed with humility. I will never understand why God sent me to the home and place I was raised in, with the parents, the siblings (uhm thanks for writing me every week! #bestsiblingsever), mentors, and friends I have had. I don't know why He lets me have these incredible experiences with His beloved kiddos here in L.A., in Provo, in WV etc., but I am just filled with gratitude...always. We can't comprehend how much He loves His children. This transfer has been full of those moments. Sister Jones and I can both confidently say we are different people than we were 6 weeks ago (I can say that about every transfer of my mission though, haha, but definitely this past one). Heavenly Father has just taught me a completely different way to think and look at things. I will just be a completely different member of the church, missionary, wife, mother, trumpet player, friend, etc.

 

Anyways, He lives. He loves us. He has provided a way for us to be happy. This Gospel is it. Embrace it.

I love you all so much! I pray that you are happy!

All my love,

Sister Atkinson

1 comment:

  1. I checked out your single's ward blog. It is amazing. I sent it to my son-in-law who is the high councilman in charge of missionary work in Scottsdale AZ. I am always impressed by the younger generation and how they are able to use technology...especially when they are serving righteous purposes. Roz Udall

    ReplyDelete