Monday, February 10, 2014

May I hear thee say to me, "Fear not: I will pilot thee."


Hello everyone! Random updates as always--here it goes:
-Once upon a time California was in a bad drought. Mormons across the state joined in a fast last Sunday and it rained that night and lots this week. GOD IS REAL PEOPLE. Here's a cute story from my 6yr old neice up north after the rain ruined one of her fun plans: "This is my fault. After primary last week I came home and went in my room and prayed for rain.  A lot of rain... that it would rain for three days. And now it is going to flood!" 
-One night we were in desperate need of a laugh. Lo and behold on the street corner was a man with a long staff thing swinging around and then beating a stump. He legitimately was training to be a samurai. Miraculously, I made it to the car before I snorted and cried from laughing so hard.
-Sometimes I forget that having giant billboards of movies and worldly things isn't normal while living in WV or Utah. I see all the new stuff driving down Santa Monica Blvd. It makes me even more grateful to be on a mission right now, haha. Also, can anyone say naked billboard? Isn't that illegal? So sad.
-My ghetto lang has greatly increased since being with Sis. Rackleff. The dream. 
-We had a mini missionary this weekend! She was so cute and from the Samoan ward. As always, we heard some of the craziest stories. I was just praying that her mother would forgive me for killing her 17yr old innocence... 
-Everyone is just in desperate need of some TLC. Everyone. Even those people who you think who are perfect or who don't need it. 
-Until yesterday, I had never had a man get on his knees in the middle of the street, clasp his hands as if he is praising me, and say "I am so happy to know that there are still virtuous women in Los Angeles." It was awesome.
-Did some service for some of the precious old women in our ward this week. Who knew walking a woman with serious dementia to the grocery store was what Christ really needed me to do in that moment? Or who knew you could hoard while living at a nursing home? #nothingisimpossible
-I can't believe we have only been teaching Ted for 2 weeks. He's so miraculous. He told us this week that 2 days before we met him he had asked God to lead him to people who would really care about him. And then he said his prayers was answered less than 48 hours.
-A couple weeks ago, I was on exchanges and we had 3 back to back member present lessons set up. #thedream. All 3 fell through for various reasons. Disappointed, we headed out to street contact. Ran into a young woman who said she was supposed to go to our church (near the temple) the Sunday before, couldn't make it, but they wanted to go the coming Sunday. Her boyfriend is a less active member and his brother is on a mission. He came around the corner and we talked for only 8 seconds. We didn't have time to get their information or anything; only time to testify that it wasn't a coincidence we ran in to them. I knew that our 3 lessons fell through so we could meet them at that exact moment. Nothing extraordinary happened, but I thought about that boyfriend's brother and family members who had knelt down and prayed for him for hours before. And I know God used us in response to their prayers as a simple reminder and encouragement to go to church the coming Sunday. So many moments like these are known and unknown in our lives. The Lord's work really in incredible.
-Our other investigators are also doing great!! The work is moving forward here; we still need to balance in finding more. Highlight of the week was our ward dinner on Saturday night. We worked so hard to have everyone come. 3 less actives (one of which hasn't been in a church building for YEARS) and 3 investigators came! And we got a new investigator from it. Plus the elders and ward people got other less actives/nonmembers there. A lot of the encouragement we have been getting from the leaders is to get as many people in our church buildings/give church tours as possible during the week/on Sundays. If you all have any suggestions to how to get more people in let us know!
-Sometimes we think that we are on the defense to all the evil in this world, but I don't believe that anymore. The Lord is on the offense. All of the evil and wickedness in the world is because Satan is trying his hardest to combat all the goodness that is happening. It's his last effort to win. #itain'tgonnahappen
-I've been working hard on taking better care of my body. And then I got force fed like 500000 grams of sugar yesterday. So it's a work in progress.
-Sometimes missions can be hard. We had a lot of disappointing street contacts this week. The church magazine the Ensign's article this month on "moral relativism" answered my prayers. I love the gospel. Also, on missions you have to ask people you love to do hard things. We taught someone we are working with this week to live the word of wisdom. The physical addiction to coffee, he/she said, could be over in a matter of days. But the mental/emotional attachment is very real. This person was homeless/lived in their car for 14 years. The only thing that got them up every morning, was because they knew they needed to go get a cup of coffee. It has helped/helps significantly with overcoming their chronic depression. I could say a lot more, but it broke my heart to hear them speak. Nothing gives me more joy than to see their extreme faith and devotion to the restored gospel and to Jesus Christ than with the resolution to quit. 
Some days I take a step back and realize that this whole thing is not a dream. These are real people. Real children of God, coming unto Christ. I have no idea why God has blessed me to be here. But I am so grateful. I learn so much each day from people on the street, members, my companion, people we're working with, from the Spirit, and from my God. 
Although I love each of you and am grateful for your life updates and such, I have no doubt I am where I need to be at this time.
Hoorah for Israel!
Make it a great week! 
all my love,
Sister Atkinson

No comments:

Post a Comment