Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Then work and watch and fight and pray with all your might and zeal!

March 3, 2014
 
Hello all!
    This week has been a busy one!
    Just thinking about trying to convey my happiness today is exhausting, haha.
    This coming up weekend will hands down be one of the happiest of my mission.
Why? Becauseeeee Ted, Brandon, and Chris will all be baptized!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It is beyond humbling to be a part of their live. I seriously start every prayer with "Dear Heavenly Father, just thank you thank you thank you." I love these three individuals so much. Here are some highlights from my experiences with them this week:
-Ted. After Ted's baptismal interview with a member of the mission presidency, the interview-er brought us in. We walked in to the room and the Spirit was overwhelming. He sat us down and with tears in his eyes said "He is one of the most prepared people I have ever met." He went in to more details, but lets just say it was a sacred experience.
-Brandon. There are about 15 highlights I can share, but last night was probably my favorite. We were in some members' home and we talked about the Priesthood. He just kept saying "wow...wow" He is so excited to serve others and his testimony that this is the Lord's church is strengthened every day (which strengthens mine dramatically).
-Chris. (So Chris is the one we taught for two transfers in my last area. Then they closed my area for a few weeks when I got moved up here, so Sister Rackleff and I continued to teach him because he miraculously worked in our area and then we just referred him back to the sisters in HPYSA because they moved down there). Anyways, we biked past his work this week so we just knew we had to stop and say hi. That's when he told us he for sure was getting baptized this Sunday and that he took his girlfriend (member of the church) to the visitor's center and gave her a tour of it. Especially showing her the "God's Plan for the Family" video. The spirit whispered to me that he really is going to be a faithful father and his number one goal is to have a temple marriage and Christ-centered home. They each read the scriptures and pray every single day and talk about how this weekend is only one of the first steps. They recognize that baptism is just the gate and that their entire lives and futures and so many other lives will be impacted by this decision. Ah, so proud. #lifelongconversion
    It's interesting. Their baptisms literally have nothing to do with me. This is all about these individuals and their relationship with Christ. That being said, I just sit in awe and ask why Heavenly Father lets us help (He doesn't need our help--this is His work and He could do it all Himself if He wanted) and lets us witness it. I think it's because the joy I feel and the change I have seen in myself is unreal. Heavenly Father wants to bless us in the process as well, and I am beyond grateful.
    I love this ward and I love these members. We always leave our members homes and say things like "I want to be exactly like them in a few years." One of our favorite couples just had winning missionary moments this week that I want to share. Our ward is all about creating your family or individual mission plans. This family's goal was to find one person for the missionaries to teach every two months. The mom was telling us the other day (as she was driving us and an investigator to the visitor's center because she is bo$$) that they were worried that they wouldn't find anyone before February ends, even though they had been praying really hard about it. Then she texted us on the 28th to say that she invited her friend and he accepted! She walks her kids home from school every day and always passes this security guard. They always say hello and exchange friendly conversation. then she felt like she should invite him to meet the missionaries and he said of course! What? Then we found out later that her husband after finding out that one of our investigators that he knows is actually getting baptizing and passed his baptismal interview, so naturally he drove over some ties, a white shirt, and cookies. He didn't even tell us about it! What? Who are these people.
    Someone told me I looked like Velma this week. #nailedit
    I got to go on exchanges to my beloved UCLA this week! And do you remember Cosmo? Sister Oldham and I taught him for a few weeks before he went up to San Fransisco for the summer. The sisters started teaching him again when he came back in the fall and I got to teach him. He has progressed so much. I also got to see some others who have just progressed so much in the gospel, plus I just loved teaching my young single adults again. It was a huge tender mercy for me. I love that place.
    It has rained so hard this past week that I thought I was in West Virginia. It was insane. I only got completely drenched when we ran down from UCLA campus. It was awesome. It did make me grateful for the dream weather that I get to serve my mission in. (Also, the rain was an answer to all of our prayers! Yay!)
    We got TWO mini-missionaries this weekend. IT was insane, but so fun. They are sisters from Hollywood. They are in high school, joined the church less than a year ago, and are the only active members in their family. They are incredible and it was so fun to have them testify to strangers on the streets. They were so powerful! (We did splits when we contacted of course. 4 girls coming up to you to talk about Jesus? Yeahhhh). We even ran in to a less active 19 yr old who just moved down here from Washington and wants to come back to church. Amazing.
    I absolutely love street contacting. I always feel like I'm in my element. There is nothing like talking to a young Atheist college student who only knows what he saw in the Book of Mormon Musical (that is playing in Hollywood right now and I love it and despise it all at the same time), listening to our testimonies of joy, the power of the Book of Mormon, and how it is consistent and then him saying "At first I wanted to walk away, but after listening to you I really should check it out." #seedplanted I'll take that any day!!
    We found Ted literally the day after we received a training from the Missionary Department on helping. I truly feel like Sister Rackleff and I have tried so hard to help people to come unto Christ and not just inviting them. It has been life-changing for us. One thing we always ask is "Why does this individual need the gospel at this time in his or her life?" It was concerning at first that we couldn't answer that question for all of the people we were teaching and neither can the missionaries we work with. We have really tried to focus on the needs of investigators that the gospel can fill right now in their lives (need a sense of community, need to feel free of guilt, need to feel important, need to be healed, need a sense of hope and direction, etc.) rather than just the concerns (they are not sure if Joseph Smith was a prophet, not coming to church, etc). And it has also changed our lives. If we do that with everyone around us (whether members of the church or not, complete strangers, or our best friends), then we really can be representatives of Jesus Christ at all times and in all things and in all places.
    We are working hard, laughing lots, and enjoying every minute. This is the Lord's work. I love each of you! Make it a great week!
Sister Atkinson

No comments:

Post a Comment