Monday, February 25, 2013

We Are All Enlisted Til the Conflict Is O'er, Happy Are We! Happy Are We!

Hi guys, I still have no pictures but Brittany is going to help me this week so if all goes well you can see what she did while in Provo at the MTC and then if she sends more next week, we will be up to date! Thanks for your support of her.  Dawn

hello all!
Today the sun is shining and is just one of those days you can't help but smile!
A big shout out to those who have written me letters and who commented on the ol' blog posts. Thanks! (my mom even forwarded me the zorz from Colton. Scotts-love you and hope you're doing well! Sar-love you! Write me!) Taylor is your competition this week? Good luck! Kel-heard you asked mom what to send me, haha--Gum! We chew it during our studies. Thanks so much! Love and miss you all!
I forgot my journal at home, so lets see what I can remember from this week!
-yes mom, our apartment is furnished. and yes we get fed almost every night :) we pass around that meal calendar at church until it's full, haha. We get a lot of pizza and soups and spaghetti from the young singles and lots of creative dishes from the young marrieds. We even have gotten swiped into the cafeteria at the dorms :) Sis. Barney is a health nut and she is keeping me healthy. Except she never eats the candy we get....aka more for me. haha, just kidding--we give candy to everyone! we leave it on doorsteps, give it to investigators, hand it out on campus, etc. Candy is the way to people's hearts. Also, Sis. Barney let me graduate to running out in the real world. The (c)ankles are really holding up, haha and I actually enjoy running now. (#miracleshappen. oh and yes, I still make my bed every morning :D ) We see so many homeless people. This one homeless guy we run past every morning, we need to be friends because we see him every day. It is hilarious to watch people's reactions as two tall white girls run past them at 6:30 in the morning and quite cheerfully say hello or good morning. People think that people in L.A. are mean, but really they just are too passionate with the car horn. People are generally really nice to us. One woman in the laundromat this morning randomly told me I had beautiful complexion, haha...and I have rosatia!
-we had another young woman serve as a mini missionary this weekend! She may or may not have taught some false doctrine in one of our lessons, haha, but it was so fun to have her!
-we spoke in church yesterday, haha. missionary work was the topic. obviously. I talked about how "every member a missionary" really means every member is a disciple of Christ. Part of our covenant or promise we make at baptism is to stand as a witness of God at all times, in all things, and in all places. I might have Christ's name literally written on the bottom of my name badge but when we are baptized we all promise to write His name on our hearts. We are disciples or learners of Him. We are all learning and trying to become like Him and to say, do, invite, serve and testify as He would.
I feel like I haven't really told you much about Sister Barney. We get along so well. We love working and we love people and we love teaching and we love laughing and we love the LDS singer, Alex Boye. "This companionship really is a trio--me, you, and Al." Remember how I found that 90s pop cd of Alex Boye doing hymn covers like he was a Backstreet Boy? All day. Everyday.
Yesterday in the UCLA ward council, it was so fulfilling to see their surprised faces by how much work we are doing. I love working on campus.
-Ashley is doing well! We met with her a couple of times anddddd she came to church! My favorite lesson we had this week with her was when we addressed her concerns about baptism and watched lots of Mormon Messages videos and talked a lot about faith. I love that girl so much. She is telling her Mom tonight about being baptized on March 9 or 10 so keep her (and her Mom) in your prayers!
-Allan. Oh Allan. I get so passionate about the gospel in our lessons with him. Sister Barney said after one of our lessons with him this week that all of my experiences in life help me with teach him and explain things to him. (shout out to growing up in the Bible Belt ;) ) We talked about the Book of Mormon a lot in our two lessons this week. We talked about the Book of Mormon logically (using that "essay assignment" thing Dad did once? It was in a book Mom gave me. It basically talks about how it's impossible that it was made up by Joseph Smith) and then how we have to understand it spiritually and watched the Restoration dvd. I basically tell him in every lesson that I refuse to give up on him, haha. He asks deep questions and I love studying in the mornings so I can be super prepared for our lessons with him.
-Kent! Kent is a new investigator who is from Salt Lake (go figure), but he never took the lessons from the missionaries. He has Aspergers (sp?) and is super smart and super sweet. He is really dedicated to school and struggles making time, but he has felt the Spirit and keeps saying "it all makes sense". Love him.
-Kelly. Have I told you about her before? She is a sweetheart whose best friend is Mormon. She comes to church almost every week and basically lives a Mormon life, but doesn't want to be baptized because she thinks that confirmation will come naturally rather then really working for it. She's a tough one. :)
Is that too much information about some of our investigators? I hope that isn't too much. We talk about having that desire to know all the time. Lots of the time people don't know what they are missing.
We are struggling finding people to teach in the Young Single Adult Ward. Some of our UCLA students can go to the YSA ward instead. It's hard to place people. We are doing lots and lots of work with less actives in the YSA ward which I definitely love, but we are praying that we can finally contact one of our several referrals for that ward (nobody picks up the phone and nobody is ever home. we even leave sweet notes and chocolate. :) )
-this week was the first time I have knocked on the door and knew the person saw us and hid in the back so she didn't have to answer, hahaha. Oh mercy.
-oh oh oh 58 new missions world wide?! HOW EXCITING.
-I love working hard and I'm determined to make better use of all of our time. The days when we are so tired we crawl into bed are my favorite. The other days where we have to sit in meetings and only can have a couple of appointments I get anxious.
-I'm particularly grateful for the Priesthood this week. And the Gospel Principles book explains things so well
-I didn't see any celebrities from the Oscars, haha We stayed away from that part of town yesterday.
I'm just so happy and grateful today! I love you all so much! Remember to smile and to pray :)
Thanks for everything!
Make it a great week!
Love,
Sister Atkinson :)
p.s. lots of pictures will be sent home on my card next week. stay tuned :) Mom did you ever figure out how to post them? I left instructions on that page... Oh and tell Ashley thanks so much for her package!!!!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment