Monday, February 18, 2013

'O Lord, I have trusted in thee, and I will trust in thee forever."

Sorry guys, I have not yet been taught how to post her pictures. Hopefully I will learn soon. Dawn

HELLO ALL!!!!!
Time flew this week.
The scripture in my subject line is one of my new favorites (2 Nephi 4:34) and it goes along with Isaiah 26:4 and Proverbs 3:4-6. New life motto. Trust in the Lord. It will all work out. :)

Sorry if I came off preachy last week, I'll be much more reserved this week, haha.
-Picture of Dad walking across Summers Street in the rain in newspaper was hilarious.
-The other day I was standing on the street waiting to get in the car and this giant white van speedily drove past us. The sliding door was open and this girl was hanging out of the door and called to us , "we ain't on crack." when she saw my surprised expression, she gave out the funniest cackle I have ever heard. "HEH. HEH. HEH." At that moment, I thought, "this is real life. this is not a youtube video. this is my life. ohhh mercy, my life stinkin rocks." yeah. never a dull moment in L.A. :)
-Eclipse gum car cup? Helped Sister Barney and I survive our studies and plannings the past two weeks. (we only chew gum in our apartment).
-This is way late, but can anyone tell me how Taylor's recital went?! I'm sure you did great Tay!
-Thanks Zack Long for commenting on the ol' blog! Mom forwarded it to me. Can't wait to hear from ya :)
-Loved the WVU Mountaineer on top of Seneca during fall picture you sent me Mom. go 'eers. And loved the Elder Holland quote from October 2012 General Conference typed all artsy. During that talk is when I got my 100% going on a mission prompting. I've been able to read it or watch it and the announcement about lower missionary age a few times since I've been out. I haven't cried much at all since I've been out, but I always tear up when I hear/read those two things. Changed my life!
-Okie dokie, Mom you won't get new pictures until you post the old ones and send me the card back, haha..Then I'll send this card home.
-Julianne Hough (famous dancer/actress in the new Footloose? less active Mormon?) ON MY CHURCH YSA WARD LIST. I freaked out when I saw it. No address or number listed, so I can't go knocking on her door. But I did find her childhood email address on an older list, hahaha. Dr. 90210? some plastic surgery reality show? He was in Sister Barney's old ward (Beverly Hills). Maybe I'll get to meet him. Almost everyone we meet has a close connection to a Mormon. It's surprising. We ran into a Korean guy yesterday who went to BYU for 6 months and some of his dad's friends translated the Book of Mormon into Korean. The Church is growing and the knowledge of it is rolling forth to all the world! Speaking of, mormon.org rocks. It's our favorite pass along card. It even has fancy QR code so we're tyring to get people to pull out their iphones and watch a video with us right there on the street or on campus.
-Sister Barney gave me a calendar my first day in the field and we write down a tender mercy or how we have seen the hand of the Lord that day. I have started to write down something I can improve or change for the next day. It really has helped me grow. I recognize how much I rely on the Lord, how much I need to stay humble, and to improve each day through the strength of the Lord.
-Mom asked about Allan. He's still meeting with us. This week we are going to have a lesson with him on feeling and recognizing the Spirit. Hopefully that will help.
-Ashley is doing well. Her friend at BYU is coming home the second week in March so we are really hoping that she'll keep her baptismal date of March 10. She has the faith and the testimony, but a few things are scaring her (family opposition and perfect knowledge and some other things). She is like a younger sister to me. She has progressed so much, and I just know that she'll continue to do so. I have decided that a reason my sister Brittany and I served on campuses/ young adult wards is because we have a Mom who joined the church at that age. We know what effect it can have on a person's life to join the church in the young adult years. I have found myself sharing Mom's story time and time again. Because my mom made that decision, she has an eternal marriage and family. I wouldn't be on a mission right now if my mom didn't have the courage to act on promptings. from the Lord. I love working with people this age!
Valentine's day was one of my favorites yet on my mission. This might sound super cheesy, but I recognized that I feel God's love for people that day. I meet people from all over the world, from all walks of life. Within a few hours the other day, I met an Italian, a Korean, a Lithuanian, a Iranian, etc. I met a homeless man and a professional ghost writer for how-to books. I met a Jewish person, a Muslim, a Southern Baptist who lived in Utah for a long time and was worried about converting us to her beliefs (hahaha, we killed her with kindness and we at least got her to giggle), an Agnostic, and an Atheist. I mean, literally everyone. But every time I meet someone I feel this overwhelming love for them. I have the desire to sit down for hours with them and hear their story and where they came from. I have this overwhelming desire to share what I know to be true with them. That God loves them. That God is their literal Father in Heaven. That He will answer our prayers if we ask. How do I care so much for people that I've known 2 1/2 weeks, 2 days, or 2 minutes? When they tell me a tragedy from their lives, I feel so much sorrow and pain for them. I could type for hours about the individuals I have met and how their trials and stories have effected me. The other night we had a lesson with someone who has been struggling. It broke my heart to hear about her trials in life, but I was overwhelmed when she shared a very sacred and personal experience she had with her Savior. I could feel God's love for her. God loved her so much that he sent His only Begotten Son to this earth. For her. And for me. And for you.

I love working with less actives. People who think this work is all about baptism are a little confused. It's about bringing others, all others, to come closer to Christ. Whether that's my companion, the man I talk to on the street for 25 seconds, to an investigator (someone taking the lessons), the ward I'm working in, and members who are struggling. Don't get me wrong I love extending the baptismal invitation and teaching the Restoration and I cannot wait to see Ashley baptized, but helping people set their sights on the temple? So rewarding as well. Baptism is a hugeeee first step, but eternal life is the end goal. If we can help anyone and everyone get closer to that end goal, that goal of eternal perfection and happiness with God and with our families? happy happy, joy joy. That's not just the purpose of missionaries, that's the purpose for each of us!

I truly love you all so much. Thanks for reading. Thanks for the prayers and support.
Make it a great week,
Sister Atkinson :)
p.s. check out some of the mormon messages and mormon.org videos. love them. share them.
p.p.s.- if anyone wants to email my mom and attach a document with his/her testimony of the Book of Mormon, I would love you forever. Do it landscape so you can fit two on a page. I'll make copies and slip them in the Book of Mormons we give out. Makes a great family home evening activity ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment