Monday, September 30, 2013

"Let us all press on in the work of the Lord...an unseen power will aid me and you."

Sorry this is late. I have been super busy and just running behind. new email should come tomorrow, due to this being transfer week/p-day being on Tuesday. Dawn
Written Monday, September 23, 2013
HELLO ALL!
I didn't make a post-it of bullet points before coming to email, so this email will be even more scattered than usual. I just thought about everything that happened this week and was too overwhelmed to make a post-it, hahaha.
ERNEST GOT BAPTIZED YESTERDAY!!!! So that's happy!! He bore his testimony at the end about how clean and happy he felt. It was so exciting.
We just have a lot of...characters...that we work with. Which is why I just love this place. When our people say random things (like at a baptismal service or in a meeting), I have learned to just laugh. AKA I laugh....a lot. My face is always an open book though, so you can always tell when I'm... a bit confused...at our people. Oh mercy. This quote from Elder Holland humbles me all the time:"So be kind regarding human frailty—your own as well as that of those who serve with you in a Church led by volunteer, mortal men and women. Except in the case of His only perfect Begotten Son, imperfect people are all God has ever had to work with. That must be terribly frustrating to Him, but He deals with it. So should we..."
We are in a trio! Sister Pillar AKA SistahPillahofLight is so great!!!! She is from North Carolina and full of energy. We'll only be in a trio until the end of the transfer (which is next week). Trios are always a party and a half (definitely because I love rocking the back seat), so we are laughing lots and having fun.

It is really hard to cover two areas and two wards. We all felt like our areas were on the brink of exploding and we had huge plans (and very different plans) for the last two weeks of the transfer. But we now have 50% less time in each area (we split each day to work in the two areas), and we all had to take a few steps backward. We are being positive and patient though. :) And Heavenly Father is definitely consecrating our efforts. I am a bit anxious to just go work because I feel like I was at a perfect opportunity with all the changes we have made in this area, with Sister Jones, and just with how perfect this area. But Heavenly Father has very much asked me to not go full speed ahead. I just can't. Earlier this week I secretly felt like we were working at 60% effectiveness (just because of a few situations--no one's fault at all), and I was just asking why we weren't given the opportunity (because we finally feel like we have the tools and means) to work at 100%, to become the show-how missionaries we want to be. Obviously, Heavenly Father humbled me as always.
This time through Doctrine &Covenants 35:
8 For I am God, and mine arm is not shortened; and I will show miracles, signs, and wonders, unto all those who believe on my name. 10 And the time speedily cometh that great things are to be shown forth unto the children of men; 11 But without faith shall not anything be shown forth 13 Wherefore, I call upon the weak things of the world, those who are unlearned and despised, to thresh the nations by the power of my Spirit; 14 And their arm shall be my arm, and I will be their shield and their buckler; and I will gird up their loins, and they shall fight manfully for me; 24 Keep all the commandments and covenants by which ye are bound; and I will cause the heavens to shake for your good, and Satan shall tremble and Zion shall rejoice upon the hills and flourish; 25 And Israel shall be saved in mine own due time; and by the keys which I have given shall they be led, and no more be confounded at all. 26 Lift up your hearts and be glad, your redemption draweth nigh. 27 Fear not, little flock, the kingdom is yours until I come. Behold, I come quickly. Even so. Amen.

I just felt like He was saying that His arm is not shortened---He is still working miracles and preparing souls. He is always working at 100% capacity. He just understands the plan so much better. All I can do is trust in Him, be more humble, and do my part. Even when our desires are righteous, they don't always match up with His plans. So just be patient and trust in Him.

My biggest trial right now is staying awake during the Spanish lessons. Their Spanish is so lulling, haha. But naturally I have mastered the phrase "puedo usar su bano por favor?"
We have met with a lot of people this week, but if they aren't willing to meet a few times a week or seem elect, we testify of Christ, add them to our email groups, and don't meet with them again. It's getting easier though. Just having lots of faith :)
The phone way of getting referrals is still effective! We just don't have much time to call everyone, let alone to meet with them, haha. My favorite people we got referrals from this week:
-a 17 yr old kid driving his red Camaro out of his driveway gave us the phone number of his cousin who is struggling
-this 20 yr old kid wasn't willing to meet with us the next day, but more than willing to give us the phone numbers of all of his friends. "My phone is full of sinners... this one steals money from his mom...this one deals...etc." "Is everything okay with this one?" "No. His sin is he overweight and depressed." OH MERCIFUL. People are nuts.
My sassy side came out again in a street contact. Sister Jones and Sister Pillar started talking to this kid about baptism. They looked at me to continue, but I just couldn't invite someone who was high to be baptized. I just couldn't. It was hilarious. I waved my Book of Mormon up and down in front of his face and he didn't blink. He told me he was happy to which I replied "Chris! It's not true happiness if it comes from a plant." He just got out of Juvee, had a broken collar bone but wasn't wearing a sling, and his mom was just deported to Mexico. Bless his heart. I just show my love a little differently. AKA don't be stupid.
We have some great things planned for this week! So I'm excited! Also, next week is transfers, so P-day will be on Tuesday. Who knows what will happen. I really hope Sister Jones and I stay together for her last transfer, but there's a good chance she'll go back to the Visitor's Center. This is His work, and His kids. So we just need to trust Him. Oh another favorite scripture from the week is in 1 Nephi 13:40-41. Christ is the only way to be truly happy, but we have to learn to do things HIS way. That's the only way. He has given us as many road signs and tools to figure out what His way really is. I promise if you read The Book of Mormon and ask God if it is true, it will change your life. You'll figure out what really is His way. You won't just know about Him, but you will get so much closer to knowing Him personally. I love this Gospel and I just love you all. I hope you all know how happy I really am. One of the greatest lessons I have learned is if we aren't happy or aren't satisfied with the way something is working out or the way we feel about something, we need to stop doing things the exact same way. If we make a small tweak, we can get where we want and need to be. We just have to experiment and study to see which tweaks are the right ones to make.
Love you all! Make it a great week!
Sister Atkinson

No comments:

Post a Comment