Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Savior Redeemer of my soul...whose mighty hand hath made me whole:)

This is today's new email. I have faith that she is watched over and that she IS SAFE. Dawn
 
October 1, 2013
Hi!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
So many updates from this week! I'll try to type fast and make it comprehendable. Oh apparently that's not a word, haha.
I'm choosing to tell you some stories because 1. I feel 100% safe now 2. It is hilarious and such good writing material 3. I don't have time to catch up on everything in my journal 4. I have good faith that you won't freak out mom! 5. I PROMISE WE ARE 150% SAFE.
Last Monday we drove home from family home evening with the branch and got home at 9pm like every night. Sister Pillar and Sister Jones got out of the car (we park our car in an alley and go through a back gate that is almost always locked to our apt/house thing). I'm still laughing about who knows what in the car while they are getting their stuff out of the trunk. As I get out of the car, they say in a strained voice "Yeah, I think we left something at the church." "Yeah, let's go back there." My nonchalant manner as always responded "Whattya mean we left something...*looks around our creepy alley* ohhh!" and get back in the car. A man was standing on the walk outside of our apt. behind a tree. He peered around the tree, stared at my companions, then went back, and then stared again. So obvi, we drove away and circled around the front of our group of apt/houses thing on the main road. I made eye contact with him as we drove past and he did not drop my gaze. CREEPO? YES. Of course we circled again (our zone leaders chastised us for doing that, haha) and saw him walk back in to our alley. He never came out. So obviously we did not return home! We just started driving to who knows where. Our zone leaders were a little freaked out when they saw they had 17 missed calls from us. Can they respect us? :) Luckily, Sister Pillar still had the keys to her empty apt (which was empty for the last two weeks of the transfer since we're in a trio), so we went and stayed there. Our zone leaders practically busted down the apt door to bring us a third mattress and bedding. We have been super cautious recently and our neighbor Pascual (aka my hero) is keeping an extra eye out for us. Oh it was hilarious, president sent a trio of elders over to our apt an hour and half after the incident to make sure no creepers were there. Not sure what they would have done if there was someone there. -_-.
I mean we are the only white people in our town, but Heavenly Father has very much protected us multiple times. We feel so so so safe. We love Bell Gardens (our town) and I would have balled my eyes out if they would have asked us to leave our nasty, yet dear to my heart, apartment and cute neighbors, but we prayed about it and feel super safe!
We had a few experiences where I felt so frustrated with people's choices. Then I caught a small glimpse into how Heavenly Father must feel. He must be so sad when we as His kids, just don't get it. He has given us everything, even His son Jesus Christ, to make it back home to Him and even become like Him, but all we have to do is reach out and grab those things. But we just more often than not, don't. Yet He still loves us and His arm is always still outstretched.
Fall! It finally started cooling down! Aka, we have been freezing in the low 70's in the mornings :) I do miss the color of the WV Hills. I can't believe it's October!!!!!!!! Ah!!!!!!
Ernest was confirmed on Sunday and was ordained to the Priesthood. SO HAPPY. He is so happy! We have a hilarious story with him this week. We were sitting at this park teaching him when all of a sudden this man on a bike and his girlfriend (also on a bike) came over to talk to us. He started asking us if we were having a Bible study and asking genuine questions about what differences our religion has (we thought he was golden for .5 seconds and then I realized his visit was very much premeditated), and then he started yelling at us about how wrong we were and tried to Bible bash with us. He figured out Ernest was a recent convert and started telling him how stupid he was and how deceived he was. We could barely say two words when he told us it was an abomination for us women to be preaching to a man. Just imagine my facial expression on that one. We told him very kindly we had to leave. All of a sudden, Ernest started testifying! it was awesome. Ernest told him how he was being so aggressive and how that's not how God works and how he couldn't feel the Spirit around him. YES. SO MUCH WIN. I told them we loved them as we left and made the "I love you" sign in sign language. He thought it was a devil horn sign. Merciful. Ernest then bought us churros. Did I think of Even Stevens? Yes. Was it a huge testimony to hear Ernest testify how He knew what is God's word and what is not? YES.
Sister Jones ran to the bathroom and threw up in the middle of one of our Spanish lessons this week. So that was nice.
We had some very special moments with Dayssi. It was a bit of a wake up call to me to know how black and white our choices are. There really are only two paths and they lead to very different types of happiness.
It was cool for us to be with Sister Pillar the past two weeks. She gained so much confidence in herself and boldness with her invitations. I think her area is going to have so much work next transfer. Pretty sure she thinks Sister Jones and I are completely nuts. Which we are. But we have all laughed SO hard the past couple weeks. One of my favorite things I realized this week; "my whole life I have always thought everyone around me was nuts. Then I came on a mission. And now I realize that I am the one that is completely psychotic."
Elder Richards of the Quorum of the 70 [a church leader] and his wife (she was on the Young Women board with Sis. Dalton, Tanner, and Beck for 5 years and totally reminds me of them. [they were church leaders for the teen-age girls] She was so cool) came and did a mission tour this past week. We had a few leadership meetings with him and a zone conference. Basically he humbled us as teachers. (We all thought we were good teachers...and then his training happened...) I'm going to focus on shorter statements and just simple truths. He said we should focus on the 4 essential truths of the gospel: 1. The Atonement of our Savior Jesus Christ. 2. The First Vision 3. The Book of Mormon is true 4. The priesthood has been restored.
He said he would only make one invitation of the conference. It was to write down each investigator and prayerfully decide which truth he/she does not understand and focus on it. IT will be interesting to see how our teaching changes.
A drunk homeless guy who looked like Sirius Black right out of Askaban blew a kiss at us as he crossed a crosswalk. When we drove around the corner he jumped off of the sidewalk and almost hit our car. He was hilarious.
The Relief Society broadcast was SO GOOD. It is interesting that everyone is focusing on the work of salvation, aka our ordinances and covenants. I'm so excited for general conference! [our semi-annual world wide church conference] I can't believe it has been a year since I decided to come on a mission. Watch general conference with a question and I promise it will be answered. Last year my question was "Heavenly Father, I have decided to not serve a mission. Is that what you want me to do?" The no I got from Him was pretty loud and clear, hahaha. There is a prophet on the earth today. He is speaking to the world. Aren't you curious to know what he has to say? What Heavenly Father wants us to know? Watch it this Saturday and Sunday on lds.org. It will change your life. It always changes mine. :)
Saturday night the assistants called. We knew that meant that one of us was going to be a trainer, so obviously we were super sad to call him back. I called him. "Can I talk to Sister Jones?" It hit me that we would be split up. so naturally, I yelled at my leader -_- 'NOOOO. YOU MAY NOT. YOU CAN'T TAKE HER AWAY FROM HERE.' Not my best. Obviously, it was more hilarious than anything. I'm super happy for her though. She is whitewash[meaning that both sister missionaries will be new in the area] training back at the Visitor's Center for her last transfer. Super happy. She is one of my best friends and changed the branch, so it is a little hard for everyone for her to leave, but I'm super excited for next transfer. I'm staying here, and I'm still a sister training leader. Sister Perry is coming here! She is one less transfer than me [came into the mission one transfer after me], but is Spanish speaking. Drum rollllll SHE IS FROM HUNTINGTON, WEST VIRGINIA and our parents know each other :) WIN. So that's super happy. [and quite unusual to be companions from the same home area]
For a few weeks I have felt like someone has been holding my head and I have been swinging punches. Sister Jones and I very much wanted to work 100%, but were never really given the opportunity. We just had to do a lot of preparation and problem solving in this area. I very much feel that right now that Heavenly Father wants me to work harder than I ever have before. So that is my promise. I am super excited. I have such a good feeling about it.
Love you all so much!
Make it a great week!
Love, Sister Atkinson
P.S--two more good stories in 3 minutes.
We were sitting in the dark church parking lot after the broadcast. We had just hung up a call with our assistants, so emotions were a little high and we were all sitting in the backseat from the phone call. All of a sudden we see this old man in sweat pants and crocs (#don'twearcrocs) coming towards our car. Scared, Sister Jones leaned up and locked the front door. We think he thought she unlocked it for him. All of a sudden, he tries to open our car door! He then yells through the door that he wants to know if people are still inside. 2 minutes later we leave. Sister Jones accidentally hit the button to make the windows roll down and, startled, Sister Pillar LOST IT. Never heard her scream so loud. Hilarious.
Oh dang it, remind me to tell the legs buckling story next week. I'm out of time. Love you all!

No comments:

Post a Comment