Tuesday, October 8, 2013

I know that my Redeemer lives. What comfort this sweet sentence gives!

Here is her weekly email. AND she hits her half-way mark Wednesday! I am so excited about that. Thank you for your prayers in her behalf. Dawn


On Mon, Oct 7, 2013 at 1:46 PM, Alexandra Atkinson <alexandra.atkinson7@myldsmail.net> wrote:

Hello everyone!
Whew what a week!
I remembered that I still have to tell the legs buckling story, so I'll start with that. Like two weeks ago when we were in a trio and post-'man outside our apartment' we were coming home late at night. Always extra cautious at night, I was a little jumpy. As Sister Jones opened the door in front of me, she just stopped in her tracks and said "oh..no." I looked up and see our whiteboard off the wall and our apartment in disarray. I have never been so scared in my entire life. I was speechless and my legs straight up buckled in fear. I thought for sure we had been robbed and that my life was over, hahahaha. Then I realized that the stuff holding up the whiteboard had just given out and the mess in our living room was from us being in an emergency-transferred-trio and shoving three people's stuff onto 3 desks and such. -_-. Sister Jones just said 'oh no' because we would have to re-put-up the whiteboard. My thighs were numb for a good 15 minutes. I whimpered on my bed, while my companions pointed and laughed at me. Merciful.
Sister Perry is so great!!! West Virginian through and through. It's so funny that Heavenly Father put us together. She's a Marshall fan, so I think that pretty much sums up the differences between us, hahaha. Just kidding. She's still in a bit of shock from how different our area is (young single adults are just a whole different ball game). These are some of my favorite quotes she has said:
"I can't wait to tell my Mom I feel like I'm camping every night." (but I can't lie, it has been miraculous how many less bugs we have seen this week. God loves her. We are Sister Jones' sister training leaders so I still get to talk to her occasionally. Something she said this week "I have not seen a single bug since I have been here [she's in a richer Jewish area by the Visitor's Center], except of course for the fly buzzing around the poor Aussie's face today in General Conference." )
"It just smells here...all the time." :) #loveit #usedtoit #shouldn'tbeusedtoit
"Sister Atkinson..I want you to know how different your mission has been from most people's..." (hahaha, I love my ysa's.)
I think my humor and work ethic and the branch is a lot to take in right now, but we're doing great!
If people could respect the Lord, that'd be great, haha. We've had more rejection than usual his week, which I'm honestly not that used to. Our strongest investigator (one of my favorite people from my mission) dropped us on Wednesday and was baptized in her Mom's church on Friday. A less active was on his way out the door, so I asked if we could have 20 seconds to share a scripture. He said we could walk with him to his car. So obviously, I tried to start reading Helaman 5:12 to him. He then proceeded to BOOK it to his car. I tried to keep up but then realized how ridiculous I looked to his sister who was in the car waiting for him, and laughing at me. Can he respect me? Hilarious? Yes. Before yesterday, I had never had 4 chihuahuas try to attack me all at once, but there's a first time for everything.
But really, this week was great. Full of miracles as always. I'm so grateful to be where I am and I am SO grateful to be a missionary. I can't believe I hit my 9-month mark.[Note from Dawn - YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!] I get a little anxious thinking I haven't done enough, but I know that as I take it one day at a time and just give everything to Him with an eye single to His glory, it'll all be just fine. :)
We are focusing on finding through less actives right now. And basically just finding. We don't have anyone really who is choosing to be elect right now. But I have to respect people's agency or ability to choose for themselves. But! I am developing lots of faith to find right now, or at least trying to, so that's good. But if you want to send up some extra prayers for me, my companion, and us finding people who are prepared, I wouldn't reject that idea :) Prayer really is a powerful resource. I remember the first day as being a missionary thinking "why do i feel so strong today?" and then remembering how my siblings told me before I left "never again in your life, will you have this many people around the world praying for you." That is very true. Thank you so much for every prayer. Heavenly Father really lets me feel your love. :)
Oh I better tell you a super cool miracle that happened! We cover all the ysa's in a stake (or bigger area/multiple congregations). Sister Perry served the first 6 weeks in L.A. (which was over 6 months ago) in part of our stake in a place called South Gate. Since we cover such a big area, I had never really spent much time in that area before. But we had an appointment in South Gate, so we decided to stop by a less active down the street before going to the appointment. The less active wasn't home, so we headed back to our car. But there was one girl on the street and she even happened to be a ysa, so of course I talked to her! After a promising first few minutes I asked "Okay cool! Maddie, which house is yours?"
"Actually it's Pattie.." to which Sister Perry kinda yelled in joy "I knew it! I have met you before! You're Pattie!" She met her 6 months ago on the street. NOT NORMAL to run into the same people again on your mission. I mean there are tons of people in South Gate, and we are rarely there and we were going to only be there for a few minutes. Not to mention, Sister Perry says she can barely remember details about people's lives (which she remembered some things about Pattie), especially if she had met them for 5 minutes 6 months earlier and they apparently look very different. Patty said "I guess God is trying to tell me something". Obviously, we testified about how important our message is, how rare the situation was, and how important it was for her to meet with us. Sadly, she bailed on our return appointment, but we'll give her another chance. Either way, it was a cool experience for us :)
Okie dokie, I will close with some of my favorite thoughts from general conference [The semi-annual world-wide satellite broadcast from Salt Lake City]. IT WAS SO GOOD. Seriously, General Conference is a missionary holiday. I got so much revelation and comfort. I loved how specific a lot of the talks were (tithing, 3 hours, etc.). Here are some of my favorite thoughts:
-We all need ordinances and covenants. -Progress and change everyday. -"I gave him to you because I knew you could and would love him no matter what he chooses to do." - Don't compromise the Lord's way for your way or the world's way. - God should always be your first priority. - Become more meek and gentle and kind. - Speak what and how Christ would speak to the people who speak with. - The sacrament renews alllll of our covenants each week. - Doubt your doubts before you ever doubt your faith. - Be grateful for and utilize the power of the Priesthood in your life. - Remember your divine role as a woman. - Be patient, courageous, and diligent in the small things and you can get through anything. - It is a privilege to be a missionary, and every single member is a missionary. - We must center our homes on Christ for protection and peace. - Christ has said time and time again "I will not fail thee. I will not forsake thee." - Remember that Heavenly Father has been so so so good to you.
There are so many more things we could talk about. I'm just so humbled and grateful for the priesthood in my life, the knowledge we have of a prophet, the opportunity to live in this day, and obviously for the Mormon Tabernacle Choir, haha. (seriously, so good this weekend). I really loved how they talked about how members and missionaries need to be equally-yoked. For all of those (even my people in Utah) who are wondering some ways we can do that:
-Get to know everyone on your ward list. Visit those who are less active even if you're not their home or visiting teacher. Include people in your social life. .
-Be more than a 15-minute-a-month visiting/home teacher. I met someone this week who said her visiting teacher came regularly for years and years, even leaving cookies in the mailbox, without any response from her. She was in a major car accident in 2007. That same visiting teacher called that same night as the crash and felt like she really needed to visit her. Through those experiences and because of the ministering of her visiting teacher, that woman hasn't missed a sacrament meeting since 2007 :)
-Never come alone to church or to a church activity. Always invite a less active, a nonmember, or a more shy active member.
-Ask for what you want. "Would you like to take some lessons from our missionaries?"
-If you invite always slip in a testimony.
-Use pass along cards. Leave them with your receipt at a restaurant or to your bus driver. Simply write a 2 sentence testimony on the back.
We live in such an exciting time. But we have to be apart of it. We can't exclude ourselves from our prophet's call to be a missionary.
I love you all so much! Make it a great week!
Sister Atkinson
OH MY GOSH. I FORGOT TO INCLUDE THE CRAZIEST PART OF MY WEEK.
death comes unexpectedly:
1. we turned left in the car because I HAD A GREEN ARROW and this car just charged at us, running his red light. seriously, I have no idea how we weren't t-boned.
2. we were going down the alley trying to find the car washing place (I passed it like 4 times....don't ask me how) and this car zoomed around the corner and was an inch from hitting us head on.
3. on the interstate I guess I was in a car's blind sight, because they decided to just merge right into our lane. once again, I seriously have no idea how we weren't completely side-swiped.
4. I drove down the wrong side of the street the other night (okay......this one was my fault..........)
I think this can accurately describe my week, hahaha.
Sister Perry said it was very much like the Knight bus from the Harry Potter movie. But for reals, Heavenly Father is very much protecting us, and I swear I'm being super careful. Love you all!!

No comments:

Post a Comment