Tuesday, April 22, 2014

He lives, my kind wise heav'nly Friend!



Hi all! Happy Easter!
This week was a good week, but this might be a shorter update:

-Since Sister Lopez got emergency transferred in to serve with me, after our zone's  temple day and before her zone went to the temple, we got permission to go to the temple with another zone this week so she would get to go! So I got to go twice this transfer. THE DREAM. I love the house of the Lord.
-We had our interviews with president that we have every other transfer this week. I was taken off guard by his question for me, 'In what ways so far have you changed on your mission?' I know I have changed a lot, but trying to put it in words was a lot harder than I thought. My mission is such a sacred life-changing experience for me. And it continues to be that way. Also, I just love the Weidmans.
-We did tons of service this week. I loveeee service, but missionaries get roped in to some of the funniest service opportunities ever. Oh the life. Yes I am definitely still allergic to cats and dust. #theworst
-Hermana Lopez is just awesome. She is so, go with the flow and happy. In one of our service projects this week , a woman not-so-tactfully said "I just can't get over the contrast in you two. You are white and a pink skinned giant and she is the olive skinned midget." (I am 7 inches taller than her :) ) We just died laughing.
-Elder Ballard is coming to our mission the week before I go home, so that is super exciting!!!!
-Our area covers downtown Santa Monica. Santa Monica has a lot of government subsidized housing. Let's just say, not by choice, I ended up in like all of these complexes this week. And I can't really share my experiences on a public blog and be politically correct, but there were some adventures to say the least.
-There were a lot of moments this week where I just stopped and said, I seriously have no idea how to handle this situation. I am only a 21 yr old Mormon girl from West Virginia. But God always has my back and things just work out. :)
-Our Easter was amazing. It really is one of the best holidays. Our investigator Vicky, made us a delicious dinner and gave us the cutest baskets! We got a call Sunday morning to say that our gospel principles class teacher wouldn't be able to make it, so Sister Lopez and I needed to teach Sunday School. We were both reading the talk mom sent us by Elder McConkie (here is the link---
and decided that we should make a bunch of copies and our small class should go around the room reading it a paragraph at a time. We then had everyone share personal experiences or testimonies of their Savior. because the talk is just pure truth and doctrine, the spirit was so strong. we felt prompted to finish by singing I Believe in Christ (which turns out was written by Elder McConkie). It was a really special experience. After church a member and his nonmember friend (who came to church once like 6 weeks ago but wasn't interested in meeting with us then) came up to us to announce that his friend wanted to be baptized!!! I'M SORRY, WHAT DID YOU JUST SAY? We went to the visitor's center that night and taught the restoration. So powerful. He is incredible. He has an intricate spiritual background and has tried a lot of different religions. He said that when he reads the words of Joseph Smith or learns more about the restored gospel, all of the puzzle pieces of truth that he has from all of his experiences finally fit together. He knows how to follow the spirit like nobody's business. He lives right outside of our area, so we will be transferring him to other missionaries. But he's getting baptized on May 17th! Hurrah for Israel!! When we were teaching him, he went on a tangent for a few minutes about how extremely lucky we are to have "so much light in your life at such a young age". I just sat there in front of the Christus statue on a beautiful Easter evening in so much awe. He was so right. I can't express my gratitude for the knowledge and light of my Savior that I have. He really does live! And His work continues today.
-This morning I was humbled. I selfishly thought to myself (for lack of better terms), "Why do I have to give all my golden people away and then you keep giving me nuts people to teach that I don't know how to handle!" Very quickly I repented. I read in the book, Jesus The Christ, about the parable of the laborers. I am not here for a wage. I am here to work for the Lord and do whatever He asks. These are not my people - they are His. He loves each of us equally. We each have the same potential and we each need this gospel. God owes me absolutely nothing, because He has already given me everything. I owe Him everything and all I have. I love this work and I love the Lord. So many miracles this week and I'm sure there will be many more this week.
make it a great week!!!
Love,
Sister Atkinson


No comments:

Post a Comment