Monday, May 6, 2013

Be still my soul, the Lord is on my side....

Hey Everybody!

I HAVE A NEW NEPHEW!!!!!!!!! CONGRATS DAN AND ASHLEY!!!!
WELCOME TO THE CRAZY ATKINSON CLAN, BABY BEN!
[note from Dawn: Ashley and Dan welcomed Benjamin James 7 lbs 11 oz. at 1:27 am Tuesday, April 30, 2013 in CA]

Whew! What a crazy week. I swear the most random things happen as a missionary. I lost my watch, broke the other. Water bottle exploded in my backpack and my most prized possession (my lesson plan book) got water damaged. I won't tell you my parallel parking experiences. Crazy people hitting on our investigators that come to church. The power is out at the family history library (only the 2nd time it's rained since I've been here! woot!), so we're at a public library (sorry if this email is all over the place. I keep getting distracted by the unique people in the room). This old Iranian Jewish man gave us candy and told me he'd call me sweetie since I told him my first name is a secret. He keeps grabbing my arm to show me pictures of a wax statue of President Bush. Oh my gosh! he just showed me a cartoon joke that was very inappropriate of a Muslim woman. Is my life hilarious? Why, yes. Yes it is. I hope I don't sound complain-y. Things just happen and then Sister Oldham and I give each other this look, laugh, and move on. Things with us are great! We realized that we are at the point of teasing each other which means we've hit the best friend stage of being companions, haha. She's great and energetic. And doesn't get why everyone just doesn't get the gospel. "Duh! It's so obvious!" is what she always says in our car rants. Hilarious.

Pray for my driving skills. Merciful.

This weekend we were asked to volunteer at an elementary school's carnival. I haven't been around that many kids or that much pop music in a while, haha.

Things are going great in our areas! We are hitting goals more than I ever have on my mission so far, but we still don't have anybody with baptismal dates. But I really should be so, so, so grateful that we have so many people to teach. We fasted to know how to help people accept baptismal dates yesterday and are praying so hard for it. So many of the people we are working with have testimonies of the gospel. They just need to act on it. Fast Sundays are great because I always get so much personal revelation for what we're praying for. My faith is increasing. I heard a quote yesterday I really liked: "where there is no obedience there is no faith".

I read a couple versus in the Book of Mormon yesterday that have become my new favorite missionary scriptures.

Alma 13 : 27-29

27 And now, my brethren, I wish from the inmost part of my heart, yea, with great anxiety even unto pain, that ye would hearken unto my words, and cast off your sins, and not procrastinate the day of your repentance;

28 But that ye would humble yourselves before the Lord, and call on his holy name, and watch and pray continually, that ye may not be tempted above that which ye can bear, and thus be led by the Holy Spirit, becoming humble, meek, submissive, patient, full of love and all long-suffering;

29 Having faith on the Lord; having a hope that ye shall receive eternal life; having the love of God always in your hearts, that ye may be lifted up at the last day and enter into his rest.

I know what I share is true, which is why from the inner most part of my heart, even with anxiety and pain, that I want everyone I know and love to accept it. Even this hilarious man next to me. He's getting a Temple Visitor's Center card in about 30 seconds. :) Ah! Just pray about it people. Love you all so, so, so much! Can't wait to talk to the fambam on the phone on Mother's Day! Have a Happy Mother's Day to all the great women in my life!!
Oh my goodness! He just showed me an awful picture! THIS WORLD IS NUTS. Dying to laugh. Love you all!!!!!!!
Sister Atkinson

1 comment:

  1. Ali, How is my sweet girl, your mission sounds wonderful. I pray for you daily to find those ready to be taught as well as safety and health for you. Kaelyn has a big package of a letter ready to mail, i will make sure she mails it.
    Know i love you lots and am proud of you, val

    ReplyDelete