Sunday, December 8, 2013

Count your many blessings, name them one by one :)


Sorry this is so late - way too many things to do right now! She should write again today as it is after 2 am Monday already!
 
HI EVERYONE!
Whew what a week!
Thanksgiving was just so good! Last Monday for family home evening, the branch got together for a Thanksgiving dinner. We wrote thankful notes to Heavenly Father, put them on balloons, and sent them on up. precious, I know. I just love these people.
Thursday itself was quite festive. Our car was in the shop, so we had the elders' car (obvi, we put them on bikes). Their football was in the trunk, so for the last 10 minutes of our exercise time we threw the ol' football around in our classy alley. We then had pumpkin waffles for breakfast. #thankyoueggo Thursday is our weekly planning day, so we stayed in for a few hours to do our usual planning. We then had a delicious dinner at the Cuevas home. Brother Cuevas is the first counselor in the branch presidency. Both of their kids are on missions, so we got to be their kids for dinner. I just love them. Pray for Sister Cuevas. And my mom. It's not exactly easy to be so far away from your kids with only a weekly email as a connection. (We went over to Sister Cuevas for our lunch break this week and she taught us how to make ceviche. I told her my future children are grateful.) Anywho, we then made a ton of hand turkeys and went and taped them on less active members' doors. We decided we could start the Christmas season immediately after dinner, so obviously we put Santa hats on and I belted Joy to the World at the top of my lungs in the car. It didn't last long though. Sister Perry shut down my belting pretty hard, haha. People really get into Christmas lights here which is super fun. I never really thought of palm trees with Christmas lights. Seems like an oxymoron with me. Tis the season to be jolly! Oh our Thanksgiving night ended with Pascual (my Mexican father and ice cream truck neighbor)'s daughters bringing lots of leftovers to us. Our fridge is still full. Speaking of, Pascual talked to us for a little this morning about all the changes he has seen in his 17-yr old daughter (the one meeting with the Spanish elders) in the past few weeks. The gospel just changes people! It is so real and you can tell it in every aspect of their lives (Art even had a glow that we all commented about in our last lesson :) he's read everyday this week and turned in lots of job applications ) His daughter wants to get baptized in 2 weeks, but Pascual wants her to wait until she's 18 (not for another year), so pray for that situation for us. (Her name is Mina). Thanks for all the prayers! If you could pray for us, the branch, Chris, Art, and Joyce this week, that'd be much appreciated :)
We went on two exchanges this week. I just love that calling and I love the sisters. I went to the Lawndale area for one of them. When we exchange we just usually use the other sisters' bikes and everything for 24 hrs. Anyways the night before, they texted us and told me to bring my own helmet since the sister whose spot I was taking uses a child size helmet. And we all know an Atkinson head cannot fit in one of those. They failed to mention to bring my own bike as well, since she USES A CHILD-SIZED BIKE. can we all take a moment to think about my 5'9" self on a child bike? Hardest thigh workout of my mission. The whole time I thought dad was going to drive by at any moment and yell out the window "Hey Ali, nice midget bike". It was quite comical. Can't lie. Also, on exchanges I taught my first children! (I've been in young single adult wards my entire mission). The kids were so cute. The family was seriously like the Herdmans from The Best Christmas Pageant Ever. It was awesome. They were so pure. Alsoooo on exchanges we did service for a hoarder. Like a straight up hoarder. Like the house and back yard should be on the show. It was shocking. The health department was coming this week, so they had to clean up at least their driveway. So we helped for an hour. All I'm going to say is BLACK WIDOW SPIDERS. It was very traumatic. Also, I don't think I will ever collect anything after being there. But it was really nice to see their faces light up while we were there. I just love being a missionary.
A couple of our investigators both struggled with the concept of being completely forgiven for something in their past this week. It was really powerful for me to reflect on the gift of repentance and the atonement.
Joyce is a new golden investigator that just fell in our lap! She is the ex-girlfriend of a recent convert, so the family ward sisters referred her to us. She is so cute and came to church on Sunday and is so elect. I really do think we will have at least 3 baptisms in this area in January. Transfers are the week before Christmas. TUMULTUOUS. I would love to stay to see the progress continue here. And this is my home away from home and I think Christmas would be a little awful in another area. But I've also been here for 6 months and some days feel like God needs me to have a new adventure. Meh, I have 2 weeks, so I'll just stop worrying about that and leave it up to Heavenly Father. He always seems to have everything under control, haha.
Oh we have a new Michael, haha. He just just happened to be a YSA that happens to live in an apartment that a less active on our records used to live at and we just happened to run into him and he happened to accept a return appointment. See things like that just happen all the time and I never know how to convey them all to you. Have miracles ceased? I say unto you Nay. Duh.
We said hi to someone on the street as always and they looked us up and down and said "You all don't look like you're from around here" and straight up laughed for 90 seconds. Can he respect me? I totes look Hispanic.
Oh. Nathaniel. Ugh. This was one randomly one of the most awful moments of my mission. We were in my favorite South Central this week. And we approached these two YSA guys. One stops to talk to us, the other says heck no and walks away. We talk to the one for a good 7 minutes, so his friend decides to wander back down the street. Anyways, his name was Nathaniel. He is a handsome guy and super smart, but not educated. Young 20s. He definitely has been involved in gangs. He said his dad is dead and his mom is gone and he lives on the streets. I have met a lot of people here in LA and a lot who have been through more than I thought imaginable, but Nathaniel was by far the most bitter, lonely, sad, and hateful person I've ever met. But for whatever reason I just loved the kid. I just wanted him SO badly to believe in God. Have hope for something. Wish for something more than $100. I tried to testify with everything I had to him, but he still ripped up the card I gave him and threw it on the ground (obviously, I picked it up and it's in my scrapbook, haha). I just can't convey the experience the way I want to. Sometimes I take a step back and realize I am a missionary. Like getting made fun of or having doors slammed in my face is a real life thing. But there is nothing in the world more rewarding that I've done so far in my life than being a missionary. The gospel is just SO real. I read a talk a couple days after the Nathaniel experience. It's from general conference and it's about "do we realize what we have?" Nathaniel's hard face was in my mind the entire time. Do we realize what we have on the earth today? Do we realize that we have a Savior? Do we realize that we have repentance? temples? families? scriptures? prophets? the priesthood? It really is overwhelming. I am so blessed. No matter what happens in this life, the Savior is a constant. And Heaven knows I need Him everyday, or this work would be impossible and I wouldn't have the motivation or strength I need.
Thanks for the prayers, support, letters, and love. it really means so much to me. Make it a great and happy week friends!
All my love,
Sister Atkinson

No comments:

Post a Comment