Monday, November 25, 2013

Go forth with faith to tell the world of Jesus Christ, the Lord!

Here is her letter this week. I do not fully understand all of her comments, as usual, but she sounds great. But for my sake, keep praying for her safety! Love, Dawn

Monday, November 25, 2013

HI FRIENDS!
We had to drive up to Santa Monica today, so I didn't have time to write a post-it, so this will be all over the place. But I am pleased to announce that I have been writing in my journal everyday so it should help. I know, I know miracles happen.
Did I ever tell you about Anabelle? Can't remember. So sorry if I'm telling you again. A couple weeks ago we were street contacting in my favorite, da hood of south central Los Angeles. Sister Perry started speaking to someone in Spanish (I normally just nod and say bien or si). This girl starts walking towards us. in her 20's. Very rough around the edges. Looked like she would want nothing to do with God. I kept looking over at her walking towards us and felt like I should talk to her. But Sister Perry was still talking in Spanish and I normally don't walk away from her (not supposed to) if she's talking to someone. But I really felt like I should, haha. So I went up to Anabelle, the girl walking towards us (I was literally only 2 feet away from my companion...we were back to back. But speaking different languages) She started to walk away from me, but I asked her to give me 30 seconds. I told her I was a missionary from the Church of Jesus Christ. I asked her "What are you going through in your life right now that Jesus Christ could help you with?" She started bawling. She looked so tough and kind of scary, and there she was just bawling her eyes out. Sister Perry finished her contact and turned around at this point. She was so confused, haha. (as soon as we walked away from Anabelle she said "What in the world did you do to make that poor girl cry!") Anyways through her tears Anabelle talked about her depression and how she's in a rough spot right now (everyone in that area didn't grow up in the best circumstances :/) Anyways, it was such a cool and spiritual experience to meet her. We've seen her a couple times since. She really needs the gospel and she knows she does, but it's hard to get a hold of her (no phone and doesn't always stay at her mom's house). So if you could pray for her, I would really appreciate it. Oh actually, we had zone conference this week and President asked us to email home and ask you all to pray specifically for baptisms in the California Los Angeles Mission. And if you could pray for my little branch, my companion and Chris, Art, and Anabelle by name that'd be awesome. President Weidman said "Lets get as many people praying for miracles in this area as possible." Prayer is so powerful and I really do see miracles everyday.
Chris is doing SO great! He could be baptized already, but is waiting until after he meets with the cardinal for his mom. In one of our lessons this week (we were outside) he stopped and said..."Is that a tarantula?" Obviously, I SCREAMED. It wasn't a tarantula. It was some GIANT disgusting bug that is a combination of a giant wasp, ant, spider, and scorpion. But no wings luckily. It was awful and I'm sending home a picture. Luckily some elders showed up at the church at that moment and the elder from West Virginia (naturally) killed it for us. Ugh. So gross.
We got our heater fixed this week! It's what I get for rubbing in that it's been in the 80's last week. This week was freezing in the low 60s. and a man looking like Severus Snape came and tried to fix our ghetto old heater. Then I look up and he is carrying the heater out of the apartment! It was hilarious. So we just got a new one. It makes weird scary noises occasionally in my sleep, so lets pray I don't blow up.
We are never in south central LA after dark. We're not idiots. But we got out of one of Anabelle's lessons this week and it was starting to be dusk. But our car was right outside of her house, so it was totally fine. Right in front of our car was a car full of young single adult guys, so I obviously go right up to them. But then the smell of pot was WAY too overwhelming, so I told them in a loving yet chastising way that it smelled awful, to stop doing it, and they need Jesus. They laughed and took the pictures of Jesus we gave them. As we walked away (because my mom told me I can't contact people who are under influences...), they yelled out the window like 5 times for us to be careful in an almost protective and loving way. It was just super cool for me to see that these punk kids who were high, respectful of our calling. They recognized us as representatives of Jesus Christ. I am so protected and watched over because of my calling. They would not have had that reaction if I wasn't wearing my nametag, if I was wearing jeans, and didn't have the spirit that comes with this calling. My calling as a missionary is just so sacred to me.
We had a mini-missionary this weekend! pretty sure she thought we were nuts...which we are :)
One of my favorite less actives who has been coming back calls me her Caucasian A and Sister Perry her Caucasian P. #thedream Sister Perry and I are having a blast. We took our rival (WVU and Marshall) pics this week. So you can't get much better than that. Also, somehow we got on to this weird conversation about if our spirits have races. Sister Perry told me I have a black spirit. BEST COMPLIMENT EVER.
Also, put cinnamon on your pineapple and it won't cut your tongue. Genius. Also, I forgot to include my favorite foods of my area last week when telling you about my area. Ceviche, Papussas, and Haimika ? don't know how to spell the last one. It's delicious purple drink.
This week we met this kid named William. But I kept calling him Michael. I put Michael on our whiteboard, I prayed for Michael, everything. He turned out being elect which was awesome! But he's a baby-daddy so we referred him to the home ward elders. After we referred him I half-heartedly prayed that we would find a Michael. Who was the next person we contacted? A MICHAEL. Our mini-missionary thought we were so nuts because we just died of laughter. But then we kept calling him William. Mass confusion. But he lied about his phone number, so he didn't choose to be elect. Still hilarious. Obviously our mini-missionary prayed later "Please bless Michael/William that he won't lie to us anymore." It was awesome.
This week Sister Perry and I are trying to not say any complaints. We hit the other's hand if we say any complaints. It's harder than I thought it would be, haha. but it has helped me be so much more grateful and positive! Have a Happy Thanksgiving everyone! The 1st counselor in our branch presidency's wife is one of my favorite humans. Anyway they are feeding us on Thanksgiving. Both of her children are serving missions in South America right now, so we get to be her kids for thanksgiving dinner :)
I was asked to take 60 seconds this week to think about what I am most grateful for. I am beyond grateful for the atonement of our Savior Jesus Christ. It comes first in my life and always will. Second, I am grateful for the restored gospel of Jesus Christ and all that comes with it (the Book of Mormon, this church, the Priesthood, missionary work, the prophet,temples, etc.). Third is without a doubt my parents. I just am so grateful for them. I occasionally tear up when I think about just running up to them and hugging them with gratitude when I see them next summer. On top of that, I can't imagine the reunion I will have with my Heavenly Father in the next life. I am just so humbled by how much he has given me. Fourth is all of you who have impacted my life. All of you, my family and friends, mean so much to me. I truly love each of you. Have the happiest Thanksgiving!
Make it a great week!!
All my love,
Sister Ali Atkinson :)

No comments:

Post a Comment