Monday, November 18, 2013


Lose not a moment, make no delay! Fight for our Savior; come, come away!
Hi!!!!
So much to say this week!
CONGRATS KELLIE! SO HAPPY FOR YOU!!
Elder Satre told me his mom reads my blog, so shout-out to her!!
Last pday was seems like forever ago!
OH! I officially have changed the day I will come home to June 11th. It might end up being the 10th, because president is trying to change transfers around, but right now I'll be home the 11th. Lets just say I love and miss you all so much, but I need as much time here as I can get! I'm really trying hard.
Everything here is moving forward and going well! Chris and Art are still our strongest investigators and are doing great...Art talked to his boss about trying to get Sunday mornings off, but it didn't go so well. But we have the coolest ward mission leader ever and he went and got job applications for him. So we'll see how that goes!!
Last week, I meant to say Chris had an appointment with a Catholic cardinal. Not just a bishop. Merciful.
Our mission now has 4 Farsi speaking missionaries! There are only 8 in the world, and 4 are here in the ol' CLAM so that's super happy!
Our toilet messed up this week (no surprise with that bathroom), but a miracle came out of it. We had to go to the McDonalds to use the bathroom. (yay). We walked in and this girl ran up to us. "Oh my gosh. You are women of God, aren't you?! I literally was just praying to God to send me help. I am just so lost right now." We taught her for a few minutes and referred her to the elders (she's over 30). It was so cool to see how God puts very specific people in our paths. I had to stop complaining about the toilet. We also got to meet this hilarious homeless woman in the parking lot of the Mickey D's whose name is Papoose and she sang to us. So, God is real.
Some elders had to borrow our car (most missionaries are on bikes now) to go to a meeting at the mission office. Within 20 minutes they ran into a giant log on the interstate and killed one of our tires. Not their best. Feel like Dad, rocking the spare.
Pascual (the neighbor with an ice cream truck that takes care of us)'s two daughters are being taught by the Spanish elders, went to church yesterday, and have baptismal dates. Hoorah for Israel!!
We get fed every night by our members. Our young single adults really are the best. But last night our chicken wasn't cooked all the way. #salmonella Just kidding. Sort of. We feel much better now :)
I tried to be classy one day this week and wear a side purse instead of my backpack as we proselyted. The next morning I woke up and couldn't move my neck to the left. I guess that's what I get for trying to be classy for once in my life. #sorrymom
This week Sister Perry and I really focused on prayer. Every day we each pick something specific to pray for in each of our companionship prayers (we pray ALL the time). One day we prayed for an investigator who hadn't texted us back in 4 days. Within 20 seconds of me praying in our prayer "Please bless that He will text us back", our phone went off. Once again, #Godisreal!!! But it has been really cool to see as we deepen our faith in our prayers, we feel a deeper sense of love and direction.
Hope you all are enjoying the snow! It warmed up this week and hit the late '80s :) :)
We are already getting in the christmas spirit, so we made a giant christmas tree out of green post-its on our wall and every day we write the miracles we've had on it. We know...we're precious.
My favorite conference talk I re-read this week was from Elder Christofferson "The Power of Women". It really gave me a lot of strength, power, and excitement. It was a good reminder of who we have the potential to become.
It's always ironic when Jehovah's Witnesses knock on our door. A dad and two of his sons did the other day. He was immediately uncomfortable and said they were only speaking to Spanish speakers. I kindly told him my companion spoke Spanish. He didn't think it was too funny. But his sons appreciated the fruit snacks we gave them. I have so much respect for them though. They're trying to do exactly what I am, more power to 'em.
We spent some time in da hood of South Central again this week. Two white girls let alone in skirts there really do stick out... My two favorite comments:
These guys from their car "Hey! How you doing? What? Aare you da po-leeece?"
And then this one man had his two very scary dogs on the street corner chained to each other. Not to him or to anything sturdy! They were just chained to each other......... as we very quickly walked past them praying they wouldn't attack us, he said "don't worry sweeties. I won't let them bite you." Hahahaha, such a different world here!!
Speaking of, a lot of people have asked me about my area. I forget that I've been here a while and that I don't really describe it that well. Here are some reminders:
We are the sister missionaries who work with the young single adults . Our branch (congregation) covers the stake, so two zones of missionaries aka 24 companionships' areas. We just work with people who are 18-30 who are young and single, who speak English, and who don't have kids.
We cover the cites of Downey and Norwalk (mostly residential neighborhoods, the nicest part of our area), Bell/Bell Gardens/Maywood (cities that are 99% Hispanic...we live in da Bell Gardens), Vernon (factories), and South Central LA (50% black, 50% Hispanic). It is all flat. It is weird to see stairs. Dogs are EVERYWHERE. Everyone has a fence and dogs that are mean, so we often hit the keys on the fence as a way to knock. Doorbells are not common. Everyone has a thick screen door (you can see out from the inside, but not in from the outside). Ice cream trucks, fruit stands, and helote (corn on the cob with mexican mayonnaise) carts (men on bikes with giant carts in the front and a squeaky horn) are all over every neighborhood. Donut shops and palm reading shops are on every corner. There is trash everywhere, especially in South Central. I have grown to love the stench every morning at 6:30am. I think I actually like Mariachi music now #imissmytrumpet. Scrap metal trucks are common and people digging through trash lookin for recycling that they can sell is the norm as well. You walk up to a driveway and you think it is just one house, but it goes back forever! It's kind of like town homes. There are like 10 units back. So every address has a 1/2. We even live at a 7777 3/4 (the first part of the address was made up. I'm not that dumb, Mom.) Mustaches unfortunately are also everywhere. People LOVE the Virgin Mary. It is not uncommon to see a giant Mary shrine with candles and lights and flowers in people's front yards. No one has a washer and dryer. Everyone goes to the laundromat. So, most people steal buggies (aka grocery carts) from the stores to cart their laundry to and from the laundromat. We definitely stick out, but that's expected of Mormon Missionaries anywhere. For the most part everyone is super friendly to us. I'm almost out of time so I better go. Between Pascual, mission leaders, our branch president, and every single member of our branch I am so loved, taken care of and protected here. It really is a home away from home. We are working really hard to find the elect, and I feel really close to my Savior in doing so. Please know how much every prayer and thought from you is appreciated. I love you! DON'T FORGET TO READ EVERYDAY! We had more miracles this week from the power of reading the scriptures everyday.
MAKE IT A GREAT WEEK!
Sister Atkinson

No comments:

Post a Comment