Sunday, November 17, 2013

"Oh, make me Thine indeed, Oh blessed Son."


Here is the last week's email. Went out of town to see Micah's final play at Belmont University so this is late getting posted. Keep praying for her, the work and her safety! Thank you all. Dawn

Hiiiiii everyone!
I'm staying here with my YSA's for at least another transfer! With Sister Perry! So happy :)
There was some miscommunication in our zone on when our p-day was, so I didn't know until this morning that today was pday. Yes I put conditioner in my hair first becasue I was so frazzled, haha. So this might be an all-over-the-place email, so sorry if you can't keep up Dad :)
-CHRIS!!!!!
We have taught Chris for only two weeks. He is the boyfriend of a returning less active. He's 29. Works for Audi. He used to be in a touring scream-o band. Grew up as a devout Catholic, but started questioning things a few years ago. And here is his story summed up: came to church two weeks ago. We taught him in a group of visitors after church the Restoration. He stayed after because he had so many questions. He told his girlfriend from the get-go that he wasn't going to join her religion. But after he came to church he said he was just "looking for truth". He didn't want his girlfriend to be apart of anything, because he wanted to do this for himself. In two weeks we have taught him the restoration, the plan of salvation, the gospel of Jesus Christ, the word of wisdom (our law of health), the ten commandments including keeping the Sabbath day holy and the law of chastity, and went on a tour of the Visitor's Center (including watching the hour long Joseph Smith movie). He has been to church every week. He reads the scriptures and prays everyday. The other day when we texted him to remind him to read before he went to bed, he responded "I read earlier because I knew I wouldn't have time to read at work tonight." He has given up all unhealthy substances. (Surprisingly, he said coffee was the hardest to give up.) When we first started meeting he was super hesitant to set a goal for baptism to work towards. He said he needed to give it a year. Then he said next August. Then he said the end of January. He just really wanted to make sure he was doing this for the right reasons (he totally is). Biggest curve ball is he and his girlfriend broke up the other night. He called us because he was really struggling. He said usually his crutch was one of the unhealthy substances I mentioned before, but he didn't have it to calm him down. We were super worried because he didn't text us back that whole night. The next day we found out that he turned off his phone to avoid temptation from his friends, went to the laundromat, and read his Book of Mormon. He's at the end of 1st Nephi. He and his returning less active girlfriend came to church this Sunday (not sure if they're back together.. haven't heard the story yet). He told us at the end of his Visitor's Center tour that he believed the Book of Mormon was true and that Joseph Smith really is a prophet and that this church completely follows in Jesus Christ's footsteps. He can't wait to get baptized. He would get baptized like tomorrow if he could, but there is one catch. His mom is very devout Catholic and doesn't want him to be baptized unless he is sure. Soooo he has an appointment with A CATHOLIC BISHOP at the end of December. So his baptismal date is for the beginning of January. I'm a little worried since that seems forever away, but he says "Don't worry. I won't be changing my mind about this." WHEW. AND THAT'S CHRIS.
-We still are trying to find like crazy. We're just sifting through, looking for the elect like Chris. We are just deepening our faith in the Lord.
-We were rocking the streets of Huntington Park this week. They call it little Mexico. (it's like street markets/outdoor mall). Super fun. Except this creepy church of the dead. #satanic #creepy
-We met this little old man Mexican cowboy who always sits on the same corner and is always SO drunk. He is hilarious though. Straight out of an old western movie, I swear.
-Why does the world lead us to believe that there can't be absolute truth when it comes to God? So frustrating. Google "President Uchtdorf What is Truth" if you want to read more of what I'm talking about. He (God) is either real or He's not. The message I teach is either completely true or it's not. Ask the source of truth for yourself.
-We're trying to be healthier and lose weight. Ugh, awful. #pumpkincookies
-The adventures of living in an alley this week: our neighbor's car's windshield was smashed in by some punk kids. They didn't steal anything. They don't have insurance, so they just had to pay for a new windshield. Ugh. The other night we were walking in from our car. I turned back to face the alley to lock the gate behind us. We were laughing and lolly-gagging when I all of a sudden felt a very distinct prompting from the Spirit "get inside now". Before I could say anything, Sister Perry said "I never get sketched out, but I feel randomly sketched out right now" We very quickly went inside and shut the blinds. Nothing happened and we felt 100% fine once we were inside. It was just a cool moment where we felt protected by the Holy Ghost. We call those moment #3Nephiteslookingout moments. :) I can't wait to see a movie of my life to see all of the unknown moments where God was protecting me and I was so unaware of it.
-Time is passing by way too fast and it freaks me out. #only7monthsleft :(
-One of our less actives that we were working with this week has severe social anxiety and another had deep-rooted offenses to some members in the branch. BUT! Both read the Book of Mormon and prayed everyday this week and had seriously MIRACULOUS strength to come to church yesterday. IT WAS AWESOME. There's power in that book.
-Oh my gosh, we were up at the temple this week for Chris' visitor's center tour. When we were walking on the grounds back to our car, who did I spot out? The one and only Kirby Heybourne (Mormon actor in commercials, and movies: Best Two Years, the RM, etc.). Obvi I reverently yelled to him and his 10 yr old son and said "Brother Heybourne! Hi! Can we get a picture with you?" #nailedit #hewasn'tasfriendlyashischaracters....
-Sister Jones and Sister Barney are going home this week, so that's a little tumultuous for me, haha. Sister Jones called to tell me she talked to some of you!!!!!!!!! After I talked to her, I can't lie I went to say my nightly prayer and totally balled myself to sleep. Not sure if it was because it was a moment of crossing my home life and mission life, because I realized how much I missed you all, realized Sister Jones was leaving, how badly I want my loved ones to understand what I believe and how much God loves them, or what. But I did. Thanks so much to those of you who are letting the missionaries stop by. All I want for Christmas is for each of you reading this blog to meet with your local missionaries just once, to listen to what I tell people everyday. What you do with that, is your choice, but for me, just listen and ask your Father in Heaven "could this be true?" To request a missionary visit, visit mormon.org.
-Spiritual insight of the week. I was reading this week in the Book of Mormon and something clicked for me. Jesus Christ has given us this gift to overcome this life and become our potential as children of God. But it's our choice to use that gift and follow that path. I think my mindset used to be Christ wouldn't save us because it needed to be our choice, but now my mindset is more He can't save us unless it's our choice. To be saved means to overcome this life and inherit our Heavenly Father's kingdom. We can't do that unless we become like Him. and everything Christ asks us to do is an opportunity for Him to change us. To help us become more like God each day. SO if we don't choose His path then we can't change. And if we don't change then we can't become more Christ-like each day. I don't know if that makes any sense, but it makes sense in my mind.
I'm really happy to be staying here with Sister Perry! Not sure what more Heavenly Father wants me to do in this area, but I just take it one day at a time. I just love this work, and I just love my Savior and I just love each of you. MAKE IT A HAPPY WEEK!
All my love,
Sister Atkinson :)

No comments:

Post a Comment