Monday, November 4, 2013

"The Lord is my light; He is my joy and my song!"


I am on top of it this week! Here is today's email! Dawn
November 4, 2013
Hi everyone!!!!!!!
I'm just so happy today! Sometimes ya just get overwhelmed by how much people love you, how much the Lord loves you, and how happy life really is. So happy!
How is it November?!
I'm trying to catch up on writing everyone back this week! Sorry if it's taken me forever! Like 2 months forever.... Sorry! I love you and should catch up today! Anyways with that, I'm going to try and plow through this email. Sorry if it's so sporadic as always!
-Even though I haven't watched the news in over 9 months (except the occasional glance here at the library. But the only things it shows are Kanye sporting a confederate flag and Jeff Bridges trying to cure world hunger, so I guess I haven't missed too much) and am completely ignorant of the world's culture right now, I really have lost a lot of naivety on the mission. There is nothing that compares to talking with/ being in the homes of people from ALL walks of life...like all walks of life. From illegal immigrants having to work in sweatshops in LA to meeting people who take way too much advantage of national programs, I've just learned a lot about the world here.
-This week was just so happy. Things are really picking up here. We are still working hard on trying to talk to as many new people as possible every day. We had a cool experience this week with a 25 yr old kid named Miguel. We were street contacting when we met him. It was a Friday night on a busy street and I honestly thought he was a typical drunk punk we meet on the street. We testified quickly of Jesus Christ and His restored path and how that would change and impact Miguel's life. He said he needed a change in his life (once again I thought he was drunk and may have said some "no kidding" thoughts in my mind). We got his address, but he didn't have a phone number (it's actually shocking how many people legitimately don't have a phone...that's excluding all the people that tell you they don't have a phone just so you won't talk to them ever again....can they respect the Lord?), but since I didn't think he was legit, we just told him we'd meet him at the fountain down the street at 3pm the next day. He said he would be there (but everyone says they'll be there..and most aren't, haha), and if he wasn't there we could stop by his house. (still thought he was drunk and still thought he was not legit). We found a few other people who I thought were way more promising. The next day we went to see those people who I thought were more promising at the times that they said they would be home. None of them were there. Feeling a bit discouraged we headed to the fountain to meet Miguel at 3pm (the whole time thinking he wasn't going to be there). We met some people on the street at 2:50, and didn't get to the fountain until 3:20. Whoops. We didn't see anyone there and weren't really that mad at ourselves for being late because we assumed he didn't show. We went on to our next appointments and decided we would swing by Miguel's house after, leave a note, and count him as contacted and never return. An hour later, we stopped by his house.....1. The address actually existed (miracle). 2. He actually lived there. (miracle). 3. He was literally sitting in the yard waiting for us to show up. (I'M SORRY, BUT THAT IS A MIRACLE). We were shocked. (I thought he was drunk 24 hrs earlier!) We sat down and he said he was at the fountain at 3, but left at 3:15 because he assumed we weren't coming. He left the Restoration pamphlet we gave him at the fountain as a sign that he was there. (We didn't see it...I really want to go back and get it and put it in my scrapbook, but I'm secretly hoping someone who needed it picked it up and then I can watch a movie in Heaven some day about how one pamphlet changed millions of lives....yes I know, I've seen too many movies. I blame Micah.) Anyways he just starts asking us all of these perfect questions. Like "I remember reading on page 15 of the pamphlet in the 3rd paragraph about how we can know these things are true for ourselves. But how have you personally come to know?" "Why do we need the Book of Mormon?" "How can I change my life" (I mean...he actually read the pamphlet? Let alone memorized it and really pondered about it?) We taught the Restoration using new pamphlets very simply and very powerfully by the Spirit. It was so cool. God is no respector of persons, and it was a good lesson for me to remember to not be a respector of persons either, haha. He has a baptismal date. He is so elect. Sadly for us, he has kids, so we referred him to the family ward elders. But it was just a very special experience (one of many), where I am overwhelmed by how aware Heavenly Father is of each of us, and how prepared some people really are to accept this Restored Gospel.
-We worked with a lot of less actives this week and a lot came to church to claim their blessings there. One of the new less actives we contacted this week in the hood had a hilarious first conversation with us when we knocked on his door. "Hi is Anthony home?" "No..who's askin?" "We're missionaries from The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. We work with the young single adults. When does he usually come home?" "Not sure..." "Oh okay. Are you his brother?" "No." "Oh okay...what was your name?" "Anthony." "Oh are you a cousin or a friend?" "No.." "Huh. So funny that you are both named Anthony.." "No, I'm the Anthony you're looking for." "OHHHHH." Sister Perry looked at me like I was completely nuts that it took me that long to realize he was the Anthony we were looking for. Whoops!
-A member always brings his same friend to lunch with us. His friend is not interested....at all. But he always comes to lunch. So we always teach a lesson at the end. Somehow he always needs to use the bathroom thought during our spiritual thoughts, hahaha. It takes all I have not to die of laughter everytime he excuses himself to go to the bathroom in the MIDDLE of the prayers. #lovemylife
-A redneck we met a few weeks ago (made Sister Perry and I a little homesick to hear her thick accent) said one of the funniest things, "My mama didn't raise me to be no hoochiemama. She raised me to be a housewife." #missmywestvirginia
-I am so past convincing people of the gospel. If they're not interested, I refuse to stalk them for 5 weeks just hoping they'll be home. 3 strikes (text, voicemail, note at house) and they're out. It really is quite liberating.
-I just love the Book of Mormon. I love reading it as a missionary. This week we read some of my favorite chapters in Alma and I just fell in love with individuals and their conversion stories (Alma the younger, Ammon, Aaron, and the other sons of Mosiah, Abish, Zeezrom, Amulek, King Lamoni, King Lamoni's 'boss' wife and dad, the Anti-Nephi-Lehi's. This is a gospel of change. It is miraculous. And I just love it.
-This week we went on exchanges with the Manhattan Beach sisters. Yes, I rocked the bike on those hills again. And yes my bum was sore for a few days again. They had a lesson with an investigator that Sister Koroitamana and I found last transfer when I was there on exchanges! It was super cool to go back and see how he has progressed. Super happy.
-We have some really solid investigators that I'm really pulling for. Especially Chris. (He's the ex-screamer and the one looking for truth) And Art. (His best friend is a member of the branch who is on a mission right now. He wants to know why it is so important to his friend. He also, knows that Sister Cuevas (the mom of his missionary friend) must get lonely (both of her kids are on missions right now), so he comes over ever Sunday night and plays Wheel of Fortune with her on the Wii. YES.). So keep Art and Chris especially in your prayers this week for me.
-You just learn a lot about yourself on the mission. I've learned that I don't get anxious very much, but there are basically two things that give me anxiety: 1. Feeling constrained, held back, or like I can't control a situation. If I can't help someone but want to, if I was stuck on an elevator, or something is preventing me from doing what I need or want to. 2. Not feeling like I'm living up to my potential/performing like I should be. It's so cool how the mission helps me pinpoint weird things about myself like that.
-Everyone thinks I'm nuts. And I just am.
-Missions also teach you to never take anything for granted (the atonement, your family, your hills, your education, the temple, etc). But especially the holidays this week. We had to be in our apartments by 6 on Halloweens (can't proselyte with the nutso's), but Sister Perry and I really had fun that night. But I'm never not going all out for holidays when I go home. :D
-I met with an RM (returned missionary) this week who is really struggling right now. I truly believe it comes back to the Book of Mormon. He stopped reading it everyday. It didn't matter that he was assistant to the president on the mission or what all he accomplished there. He still needs to read everyday. That reading would have given him that protection from the mistakes that he has made recently. I truly believe that. But the atonement and the joy of repentance is so real. I'm really proud of him though. Anyways, the point is: READ THE BOOK OF MORMON EVERY DAY. PRAY EVERY MORNING AND EVERY NIGHT. TAKE THE SACRAMENT EVERY WEEK. WE CAN'T AFFORD NOT TO.
-Yesterday in church was just one of those moments were I looked around at my little branch and was so grateful for the experiences I have had here. I love my branch. I love this gospel. Transfers are next week (so pday will be on Tuesday.. can't believe this transfer is already gone!) I think I'll stay here with Sister Perry until Christmas. You never know though! I'll keep you posted!
- President Massie (our branch president that I love...he is just the typical teddy bear older man with a hilarious older man humor)'s quote of the week in ward council. We were talking about how there was a Sunday School class for the teachers now to learn how to be a good teacher. "I once knew a guy who got offended by a bad teacher like that. And he never came to church again....And then he died." We all paused at the awkwardnes of the way he announced that man's death and then lost it. #welcometowardcouncil
-DAYLIGHT SAVINGS IS THE BEST MISSIONARY HOLIDAY EVER. It was the only night on my mission I will sleep more than 8 hrs and it was the BEST THING EVER.
-Oh my gosh. Some guys in our branch took us to Costco for dinner (in celebration of our last week allowed to eat at restaurants with members) on Saturday night. We agreed ahead of time to do the Costco challenge that they saw online (you get $10 and you have to spend all of it on food from the Costco menu and eat all of the food in under and hour). We agreed to do it in return for referrals from them (missionaries will do anything for referrals). It was disgusting how much food there was. Like disgusting. I am so ashamed. I was the only one who didn't finish it all. But I made the mistake of thinking I could save 3 giant dry churros for last and finish. #couldn'tchannelmyevenstevens But that Saturday night meal, made it for the easiest Fast Sunday ever. -_-. Don't worry, we got the referrals.
-It broke my heart while I was in Manhattan Beach to hear a less active member say "We are here to make choices. And I recognize that this is my choice right now." (to not come to church, but to spend all her time focused on other things). She just flat out said she was choosing to not follow God right now and recognized that. It was shocking how badly it stung. Come claim your blessings! As sons and daughters of God, we deserve them. He is just dying to give them to us. Come and claim them.
I just am so happy. I just love this Gospel. I love being a missionary. And I love each of you! Make it a great week!!!!!
Sister Atkinson

No comments:

Post a Comment