Wednesday, June 5, 2013

"Jesus Savior pilot me, Over life's tempestous sea; May I hear thee say to me, "Fear not; I will pilot thee"

Hello dearest family and friends!
I may be miles away focused on other people, but please know I pray for you all every day and you're in my heart! I know that I'm supposed to here at this time, and this week was a definite confirmation of that!
Dad sent me a scripture he not-so-coincidentally read the day after grandma's funeral, "And he said unto another, follow me. But he said, Lord, suffer me first to go and bury my father. Jesus said unto him, let the dead bury their dead; but go thou and preach the kingdom of God....No man having put his hand to the plough, and looking back, is fit for the kingdom of God." And he included this "For the family prayer, Mom's body was placed in the Relief Society room. Your missionary pictures were on the wall, just above Mom, which was very appropriate." Of course I wish I could have been there with everyone, especially to see the crazy extended Atkinson clan together for the first time in years, but I need to be here, plowing away. I never make covers for my missionary planner like everyone else, simply because it takes time and creativity, but I took the picture from grandma's birthday and it's my cover of my planner this transfer. It says "there are missionaries on both sides of the veil."
I had many opportunities to bear my testimony of the plan of salvation this week!! I know I already shared it kind of last week, but I want to say it again. I have had very distinct impressions from the Holy Ghost that after many years grandma and grandpa are reunited on the other side of the veil. I was standing outside the Los Angeles temple with someone we have been working with and I boldly testified that because my grandparents sacrificed much to be sealed together for time and eternity in the temple and lived valiantly to those covenants they are reunited right now, still as companions, as husband and wife. That is true love. There is no doubt in my mind that the priesthood power of Elijah to bind families together (Malachi 4:6) has been restored to the earth! A temple marriage is not some fairy tale that Mormons dream about, it is truly an opportunity we have to have our own happily ever after because of our Savior Jesus Christ. Because of the atonement of Jesus Christ, we not only have the opportunity to overcome this life, but become our potential as children of God. We have the opportunity to be eternal families with Him. If we could understand just a fraction of what that meant, than all we are asked to do in this life is nothing in comparison to what we will receive. Another night we were at the temple visitor's center and someone else we have been working with looked over at the temple and said "that's what it's all about." I could have shouted for joy. In fact, I think I did (we all know I have no problem expressing myself, haha). That's why I'm here. So people can understand what it's all about. That's why Christ did what he did for us. That's why Heavenly Father sent us to this earth. That's why I'm on the streets of Hollywood and on UCLA campus, to tell people what it's all about. That's what grandma and grandpa are doing right now. Telling and teaching those people who didn't get the opportunity to hear it in this life. They are on the other side of the veil telling people what it's all about. I have received SO much strength this week, knowing that we are united in that cause. Can you not feel it in your heart? I know you're just reading it, but if we humble ourselves and ask God if it's true, we can feel Him testify of truth in our hearts. I testify that Jesus Christ lives. That The Bible and the Book of Mormon are true. I want each person I know to have the same peace, assurance, and temple blessings that I know about. Please just try it. Please read the Book of Mormon and ask God if it is true. Please??
Grandpa got a new companion this week and so did I!! Sister Son! She is from Seoul, Korea. She just turned 21 last month! She is so humble and is the definition of quiet dignity. She went to BYU so her English is better than mine, haha. She talks to EVERYONE. She'll roll down the window and hand people mormon.org cards. It's awesome. I'm so grateful for her. She is pushing me. Like crazy. We're working very hard! Sorry this is a novel. I'll tell you about one new investigator: Darrell. Darrell is golden. His sister is a recent convert and he came to church with her last week. He said he felt a special peace there (like Mom's conversion story!!) and wanted to learn more. We taught him twice. Imagine a 6'5" black guy tearing up when you testify about Jesus Christ knowing what you're going through. It was so cool.
Sorry to all those who I pinky promised to write last p-day. That just didn't happen. In my defense I found out my grandma passed away, then Sister Oldham and I had to go buy bikes, and then we locked the keys in the trunk which took 2 1/2 hours away from our p-day. Hot mess. So sorry. I'm so sorry for being so behind on writing everyone back. I should get to write some today and some next Monday. Oh oh, one more tender mercy. Sister Oldham and I had a last lesson with Dennis. It was Tuesday night, so it had been a crazy day for both of us. Dennis is a little slower, but working with him has taught me so much. Anyways, in his prayer, "I want to thank these sisters for all they do. They have been through a lot, but please help them. They do good things." He had no idea what Sister Oldham and I had been through that day. It was the most humble, sincere tender mercy ever.
Thanks for all you do. I'm laughing and smiling lots. The jokes and funny stories from you all really help, haha. So thanks!
The work is moving forward and it is such a privilege to be a part of it. We are working hard!! So excited to see more miracles! Love you all! Make it a great week!
p.s.--Kristi "stinking I love you" Holstein. My mom forwarded me what you posted on Facebook. That was one of the nicest things anyone has ever said. It really made my day. You are such a sweetheart! I hope all is well with you!!

No comments:

Post a Comment