Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Oh, How Glorious from the Throne Above Shines the Gospel Light of Truth and Love

Mon, 24 Jun 2013

HELLO HELLO ALL!
So many things. Thanks so much for the birthday wishes! I don' think I will ever actually act 21 :)
Most importantly, happy 150th to the best state in the union! Loved the pictures of the capitol and fireworks show! I guess I'll just go to the 200th celebration with my grandkids, haha.

Where do I even start. Last night was the worldwide missionary training broadcast. So good!!! I was so giddy and excited the entire time. I'm so humbled and grateful to be serving a mission at this time. We are starting a new referral activity with our members this week. basically think of people to fit in three categories:
-people who you don't really yet know, but see all the time (security guard at work, waitress who knows your order, etc.). then we have a list of ideas to actually get to know them.
-people who are your acquaintances but you feel like you don't know them well enough to invite them to church or talk about religion. then we have a list of ideas to become actually friends with them.
-and then people who are your friends and a list of ideas to invite and share the gospel with them.
We usually only think of the 3rd category and we run out of people. So we're excited to help people brainstorm the first two! We should just love being alive at this time. President Baker always says, "isn't this exciting?" Speaking of, he and Sister Baker go home this week and we get our new mission president on my birthday, this Thursday. It will be an interesting transition! I'm so so so grateful to the Bakers for everything they have done for this area and for me!

I forgot to tell you I saw Larry King on Father's Day at church. His wife is a member in one of the wards that meets in our same building (the Beverly Hills/Bel Air Ward obviously, haha) and he came with his whole family for Father's Day! I saw him in the parking lot playing with the grandsons. I debated whether to ask him for a picture, but I decided church probably wasn't the best place to be bombarded by crazy people like me.
This week I ate dinner in a convent. I kid you not. Our recent convert Julie (taught by the Chinese elders) goes to USC and a bunch of other students lived in this house in the convent because it was cheap. Anyways, we didn't know that's where she lived. We walked up to the gate and I was like oh my gosh sister! We are not the right type of sisters for this place! We can't just knock on a convent! But sure enough, Julie came skipping to the gate like she was Maria from the Sound of Music or something. It was hilarious. And we taught someone across the street from the HUGE Scientology building. He told us to meet him in the parking lot. I had to explain why we could not teach in their parking lot. Oh the life.

This week some of our investigators have some crazy life situations that seem hopeless and impossible. It was empowering to promise them that every wrong will be made right through the Atonement of Jesus Christ. There is so much hope from the gospel.
It's so fascinating to understand that every single one of God's children have the same potential. The exact same potential. No matter our circumstances or our difficulties in this life. So cool. Sometimes, principles in the gospel just click.
I have a lot of fun pictures to send home soon. We hiked the Hollywood sign last week! We carpooled and I was writing letters in the backseat. I look up and we were by Universal Studios, which was not in our mission. Uh...guys...It was hilarious. Our district leader called to tell president we took a wrong turn and all was well.
Sister Son is SO GREAT! We are working hard and learning a lot from each other. Well, I'm learning a lot from her at least, haha.
Miracles with Dennis this week. He'll be baptized on July 7. He is like my little brother. Love that kid. Anyways. The gospel changes people.
I love you all! I'm so so so so blessed! THANKS FOR EVERYTHING!
LOVE,
Sister Atkinson


No comments:

Post a Comment