Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Scatter sunshine all along your way. Cheer abnd bless and brighten--every passing day!

 
Hi all,
I am catching up. This is the current week's email.  
She refers to 'goats'. My birthday was Sunday, the 16th and Mark says he is giving me 5 goats for my present! He has already chosen their names: Matthew, Mark, Luke, John and Judas. We will see if they ever actually arrive to our goat field! Dawn
Monday, June 17, 2013
Hello everyone! Happy Belated Birthday Mom and Father's Day, Dad! I still can't believe you all are getting goats. I fully support Dad's decision of naming one Judas.
This week has been good! I'm debating on whether to share personal stories from this week. I think I will, so maybe a few people will still find my blog more entertaining.
So a girl came to church a few weeks ago. She has some special needs (not really sure how to describe them), but she is very sweet. She came right up to us and said she needed to be "bap-ma-tized." We gave it a couple weeks to see if she was serious, and she very much is. The bishop asked us to teach her and we have taught her a few times. I have learned so much from teaching her. It takes everything out of us to teach that way, but I really love it.
Anyways, we talked to President yesterday about her accountability and about another one of our investigators who struggles a little (he's just slightly a little off if that tactfully makes sense). Anyways, he gave us some advice and I have literally no idea why, but I started to cry. It was so embarrassing. I realized later that teaching them has been a very unique experience and the emotions it really brings all came out.
Oops.
We didn't find either of them, they literally found us. I feel like Heavenly Father sent them to us, and I feel so responsible (just like any of our investigators) for them. I can feel the load of responsibility for the missionary work in this area. That's why Matthew Chapter 11 always resonates with me: 28 Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.
29 Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls.
30 For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.
We invest so much in them. Anyways, I don't know if that makes any sense. I still have no idea how to really handle the situation. All the guidance has been vague. Applying it is just a lot easier said than done. But, they are precious children of God and it really has been a huge blessing in my life to teach them. I feel like every experience I have is just preparing me for the rest of my life.

Anyways, another great lesson learned this week: learn to adapt and to be patient. Well that's a constant lesson I'm learning, haha. Another great comfort this week: Heavenly Father knows our situation. He knows we are imperfect. He knows we are trying. In a lot of ways, we are only accountable to Him. Thank heaven for that :)
UCLA's quarter just ended and we lost lots of investigators and good ward members who are leaving for the summer. The summer quarter starts in another 2 weeks, so we'll probably do mostly YSA work for the next couple of weeks :) I love exploring different parts of Los Angeles. This area is the best because it so unique and huge. I hope I stay for at least another transfer or two!

Dorothy and Darrell are two investigators who are really progressing. So close people. So close. We are asking young people to change their lives, so I really should be patient with them.

Uhm lets see! Life's great! I'm having fun and working hard and relying on the Lord. Love you all!
Sister Atkinson


No comments:

Post a Comment